Sign in to follow this  
CidleyDidley

Am I an Australian Citizen by birth?

Hello All

I am really hoping somebody can explain a couple of things for me.  I am trying to organise Aussie Passports for myself and  my 2 kids (aged 12 and 10).  

I was born in Sydney in 1968 to British parents and we all returned to GB a few months after I was born.     From what I can make out this makes me an 'Australian Citizen'.  Am I right?

I have two children, both born in GB.  I am trying to sort out their passports and understand I need to therefore sort out their Australian Citizenship beforehand?    I am working through  the online immi.gov.au  Enlodegment forms and it asks  me to "Give details of periods totalling at least two years that this parent has lawfully been in Australia."   I have never lived in Australia beyond the few months after I was born and before my parents returned to GB.   

I'm so confused, any information would be really helpful.

Cheers,

Cindy

So, the rules are;

You can apply for evidence of your Australian citizenship if you were:

• born in Australia before 20 August 1986 and are an Australian citizen by birth 

so, you are an Australian Citizen by birth

FOR YOUR KIDS, THEY WILL APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP BY DECENT, THE CITIZENSHIP WEBSITE STATES:

For Australian citizenship by descent:

• you must have been born outside Australia
  • at least one of your parents must have been an Australian citizen when you were born.
  • Eligibility - you were born outside Australia and at least one of your parents was an Australian citizen when you were born.

Your process is this;

• Get your Australian Citizenship validated, and obtain the documents (Proof of Citizenship By Birth, and a copy of your Australian Passport)
  • Apply for an Aussie Passport (not essential but it helps)
  • Then apply for the kids under descent.
  • The two year criteria u mention , I cant seem to find any basis for. I suspect it relates to those born after 1986.