Sign in to follow this  
MichaelN

Pregnant - options?

Forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section but I have no idea where I should make the post. Try not to judge me too much but I've gotten a woman pregnant and I don't want a child. I have my reasons. In any case the woman in concern wants to continue with the pregnancy alone despite having no Health insurance or access to Medicare and she earns a very small salary so she could never afford what it would cost here to have a baby. I myself have only just become employed a few weeks ago after years of unemployment, and my salary is basic. She is from a very small country and has been here for around 10 years working for consular officials and executives as a domestic worker,  but her visas held gave no pathways to a more permanent visa as I understand. Currently she is on a Temporary Activity (subclass 408) Visa which I believe has been repealed and is under appeal. So she needs a medicare card or she must return home to have the baby. I'm prepared to be registered as the father but I'd prefer not to be involved further.

Firstly, is there any options for her alone to get a visa which will entitle her to Medicare cover, and secondly, if I were to get involved, what are the options then? I've already been involved with two previous partner visas, 2012 and 2002.

If she remains in Australia (for whatever reason) and the child is born here, the child is an Australian (if you are already it is Australian by decent) you are obligated under Australian law to meet child support payments. Even then Australia has reciprocal rights with many foreign countries and she may be able to secure payments from you from her native home.

To answer further, can u confirm your a PR or Citizen?

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

So the child will be Australian regardless as you are a Citizen, either by birth or decendency.

That aside,  she can claim support through the Family Court and the Dept of Human Services, you being an Aussie you will be subject to pay her claim if granted, regardless of where she lives.  But she has to claim, and go through all the paperwork.

If you are not listed on the Birth Certificate, it will be very hard for her to prove.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

What I'm particularly interested in is her chances of getting Medicare cover. She does not have money to pay for a birth here I. I'm guessing only certain visa holders get medicare cover, so will immigration grant her some kind of visa if she can't afford to pay for a birth? or will they just say 'pay or go home'?

I cant answer that question, not knowing what visa she may get.

She will never be denied medical care.  But she may incur a debt afterwards.

Disclaimer: