Robert

Australian Partner Visa for Thai girlfriend

ūüė©Hello I know there is a lot of information about parts of my enquiry in this forum but I will detail my situation. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I currently live in Thailand and have for 3 and a bit years. Now on a retirement visa. I have had no employment since Dec 2013. I have very little money at this point. I have a job offer back in Australia and intend to go back for 7-10 days to sort details and return to Thailand to finalise things and move back to Australia. I have been living with my GF for 18 mths in Roi Et. I want to take my GF back for the 7-10 days then take her back before xmas to live. I will set out my questions below.

1) Is it wise to apply for a 6 mth multi entry visitor visa straight up. then on the second trip apply for a marriage visa as soon as we get back to Aus. 

2) or 3 mth visitor and apply for a second visa when moving back to Aus. Again applying for marriage visa when get back to Aus.

3) Having very little money and no assets in Aus what is considered enough money if I go with the 6 mth multi visa. Second time around I will have employment and no cost accommodation on site.

4) Due to the fact I was in Thailand when I met my GF and she left her city to live with me and I do not put money into her account. How would I prove the relationship and or supporting her.

5) I am sure I can get $10,000 put into my account in Aus as salary sacrifice would this cover sponsoring My GF trips. Keeping in mind Free accommodations both times.

6) Being as I will be the sponsor should I use form 1418 or 4149.

Thank You Will add to as I come across things. 

Edited by AFV
Titled changed to make it more relevant to the topic for other members

By the numbers..

1. If its her first visa to Australia, the advice is usually start small and work up, but with a good application you can possibly obtain a 6 months, if you ask for six, they often offer just a 3 month if things are suitable. If any of her visa's have a 8503 No Further Stay condition, then you cannot apply onshore for any form of other visa. Also Prospective Marriage Visa's must be applied for offshore.
  2. as above
  3. The money question is variable, and often contended.  I always say $600 per week with no support and $400 with support.
  4. She must have the funds for her stay in her account in her name. Proving a relationship is not necessary for a Visitors Visa, that will come later when you apply for either Marriage or a Partner Visa
  5. You cant actually sponsor a Tourist Visitor Visa, only make an offer of support and assistance.  She must meet all the criteria on her own merits.
  6. Neither, you cant sponsor a Tourist Visitor.

Do some research on examples of good first time Visitor Visa applications.

I would just like to add:

For the first tourist visa, where support is being offered by another person. A maximum 3 month period of stay is a good idea for the first tourist visa application. Once you have a history of Australian visa compliance, a longer stay/multiple entry will be possible.

To apply in Australia for a partner visa, she must 1) be currently in Australia at date of application and holding a visa without the Condition 8503 no further stay. If visa has the Condition 8503 attached, she will not be able to make an onshore partner visa application. 2) Of course she must meet to eligibility criteria for the visa she is applying for, not just at date of decision, but date of application, for example de facto or marriage and in a genuine spousal relationship. You need to satisfy yourself of the eligibility criteria prior to applying. Keep in mind that the partner visa fee is now over AUD$7000 so you want to make sure that you are eligible.  

As AussieDude has stated the prospective marriage visa (if this is your pathway) can only be applied for outside of Australia, and the applicant must be outside of Australia at date of application and date of decision.  

With regards to the tourist visa application. It is ultimately an assessment of her circumstances that will determine whether she is granted a visitor visa or not. There are many things that are taken into consideration. If you are going to provide a letter of support, it MUST include evidence of how long you have known each other, and your ability to provide any support offered, such as financial and accomodation support. For example, where will she stay in Australia etc. 

On 9/11/2018 at 6:56 PM, AFV said:

If you are going to provide a letter of support, it MUST include evidence of how long you have known each other, and your ability to provide any support offered, such as financial and accomodation support. For example, where will she stay in Australia etc. 

I always recommend that letters of support, include;

• Full name, DOB, D/L and Passport details of the person making the offer.
  • Proof of residential address, that the Visitor will be staying at
  • Proof of employment, employers details, copy of bank statement
  • Contact details for your employer, for a character reference (like you would for a housing rental application)
  • Indication that your visitor will have access to email, a phone (include the number if its just for the visitor), the internet and the ability to easily contact home
  • Confirm what your visitor stated as to the purpose of the visit, tourism etc, and maybe proof of a hotel/flight/tour booking
  • Indicated any periods when the visitor will not be with you, and where they will be staying
  • Indicate if, how much and the method¬†you will be providing any money directly.

Its more than offer financial support, its about providing all forms of support, to ensure a worry free stay for your visitor.  All the above builds a case that you have thought it all through and its a genuine offer.

Including all your own details just goes to establish you are credible, of substance and are being 100% open.

But as always this is just my suggestions.

On 9/15/2018 at 3:45 AM, AussieDude said:

I always recommend that letters of support, include;

• Full name, DOB, D/L and Passport details of the person making the offer.
  • Proof of residential address, that the Visitor will be staying at
  • Proof of employment, employers details, copy of bank statement
  • Contact details for your employer, for a character reference (like you would for a housing rental application)
  • Indication that your visitor will have access to email, a phone (include the number if its just for the visitor), the internet and the ability to easily contact home
  • Confirm what your visitor stated as to the purpose of the visit, tourism etc, and maybe proof of a hotel/flight/tour booking
  • Indicated any periods when the visitor will not be with you, and where they will be staying
  • Indicate if, how much and the method¬†you will be providing any money directly.

Its more than offer financial support, its about providing all forms of support, to ensure a worry free stay for your visitor.  All the above builds a case that you have thought it all through and its a genuine offer.

Including all your own details just goes to establish you are credible, of substance and are being 100% open.

But as always this is just my suggestions.

This is very helpful. Thank you for posting. My Thai girlfriend was refused a tourist visa several weeks ago. We didn't' really put much effort into the application preparation. In fact, I didn't even provide a letter of support. Will be be applying again soon. My original post is here: Tourist visa refused for Thai girlfriend 

On 9/17/2018 at 10:28 AM, BarryMasters said:

This is very helpful. Thank you for posting. My Thai girlfriend was refused a tourist visa several weeks ago. We didn't' really put much effort into the application preparation. In fact, I didn't even provide a letter of support. Will be be applying again soon. My original post is here: Tourist visa refused for Thai girlfriend 

Just be sure to address all the refusal reasons that IMMI state in the letter, exactly and completely.  There is so much info on this board.