patrick_T

Permission required for my girlfriend's son to travel to Australian on tourist visa

My girlfriend has had three prior tourist visas which I have sponsored. We recently applied for her fourth which was granted last week. She was contacted by Immigration and told that this would be her last. She needs to spend more time back in Philippines after this visit or apply for a permanent visa. 

She will be coming to Australia on November 12 for 3 months. She now wants to bring her 12 year old son. By way of background info her son lives with her ex-husband and grandparents. The father is happy for him to travel to Australia for a holiday, as he works offshore and it will be less of a burden for the grandparents. I have met her son many times on my visits to see my girlfriend in the Philippines. Are there any special requirements for him, being a minor, to be granted a tourist visa?

Post moved to relevant topic area by Admin 06/10

Admin

Edited by AFV
Post moved to relevant topic area

11 minutes ago, patrick_T said:

My girlfriend has had three prior tourist visas which I have sponsored. We recently applied for her fourth which was granted last week. She was contacted by Immigration and told that this would be her last. She needs to spend more time back in Philippines after this visit or apply for a permanent visa. 

She will be coming to Australia on November 12 for 3 months. She now wants to bring her 12 year old son. By way of background info her son lives with her ex-husband and grandparents. The father is happy for him to travel to Australia for a holiday, as he works offshore and it will be less of a burden for the grandparents. I have met her son many times on my visits to see my girlfriend in the Philippines. Are there any special requirements for him, being a minor, to be granted a tourist visa?

Post moved to relevant topic area by Admin 06/10

Admin

Welcome to the Australian Visa Forum,

Apologies I moved your post to this area, but had a few issues posting it. It appears now. 

Your girlfriends son will also need to apply for a tourist visa too. 

Generally the consent of BOTH parents is needed for a child under 18 to travel to Australia. You can use the Department form:  Form 1229 Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years. 

You can download the current form from the Department of Home Affairs website. The Form 1229 is very self explanatory. 

gRP3y0B.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

It often helps in these situations (I have seen the games people can play with regard to withholding permission for a child to travel) to get the child's father to sign a letter granting permission for the boy to travel abroad.  Form 1229 is about the visa application for the Child to enter Australia, but does not grant permission in any way for them to leave their home country if one of the parents objects.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

On 10/6/2018 at 7:48 PM, Aussie_83 said:

Also a cynic here, helps prepare for future visas where suddenly the parent requires a lot of money even if they never met the child but makes for a good cash cow

Aussie_83, I'd call you a realist on this subject.  Its a major industry 😉

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.