Jump to content
Usama Arshad

Can startup a company on 476

Recommended Posts

Hi, I am a recent graduate from an accredited Engineering Institute from Pakistan. I have a startup idea which I would like to form into a company and get it incubated in Australia. Can I do that on my 476 visa? Will 476 allow me to do business in Australia as an Entrepreneur or am I only allowed to do work in some existing Australian Enterprise.

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Usama Arshad said:

Hi, I am a recent graduate from an accredited Engineering Institute from Pakistan. I have a startup idea which I would like to form into a company and get it incubated in Australia. Can I do that on my 476 visa? Will 476 allow me to do business in Australia as an Entrepreneur or am I only allowed to do work in some existing Australian Enterprise.

 

Thank you

Welcome to the Australian Visa Forum,

In the first instance have you looked at ALL of the criteria for a subclass 476 visa? In particular is the Engineering Institute in Pakistan accredited under the Washington Accord? If the answer is no, then look no further as there is no eligibility for this visa.

There are other institutions from some countries that are accepted. However, for Pakistan they must be accredited under the Washington Accord.  

Washington Accord institutions

Any institution offering an Engineering qualification accredited under the Washington Accord is a recognised institution. The Washington Accord is an international agreement among bodies responsible for accrediting engineering degree programmes. It recognises the substantial equivalency of programmes accredited by those bodies and recommends that graduates of programmes accredited by any of the signatory bodies be recognised by the other bodies as having met the academic requirements for entry to the practice of engineering.

Note: Study at an institution or college that is affiliated with a recognised institution does not satisfy this requirement.


gRP3y0B.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bridge said:

Welcome to the Australian Visa Forum,

In the first instance have you looked at ALL of the criteria for a subclass 476 visa? In particular is the Engineering Institute in Pakistan accredited under the Washington Accord? If the answer is no, then look no further as there is no eligibility for this visa.

There are other institutions from some countries that are accepted. However, for Pakistan they must be accredited under the Washington Accord.  

Washington Accord institutions

Any institution offering an Engineering qualification accredited under the Washington Accord is a recognised institution. The Washington Accord is an international agreement among bodies responsible for accrediting engineering degree programmes. It recognises the substantial equivalency of programmes accredited by those bodies and recommends that graduates of programmes accredited by any of the signatory bodies be recognised by the other bodies as having met the academic requirements for entry to the practice of engineering.

Note: Study at an institution or college that is affiliated with a recognised institution does not satisfy this requirement.

Hi and thanks for your feedback. Yes my institute is Washington accord accredited and also PEC accredited. Infact my university was the first one to gain accredition from Washington accord in the whole country and lots of my seniors have already reached Australia successfully on 476. But all of them were job centric. I am an Entrepreneur. And therefore I would like to go for a startup. Particularly in Adelaide. I would really appreciate if you could guide me about whether I am allowed to setup a company in Australia on 476 or not.

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Usama Arshad said:

Hi and thanks for your feedback. Yes my institute is Washington accord accredited and also PEC accredited. Infact my university was the first one to gain accredition from Washington accord in the whole country and lots of my seniors have already reached Australia successfully on 476. But all of them were job centric. I am an Entrepreneur. And therefore I would like to go for a startup. Particularly in Adelaide. I would really appreciate if you could guide me about whether I am allowed to setup a company in Australia on 476 or not.

 

Thank you

To establish a private company in Australia (Pty Ltd), one Director must reside in Australia.  So technically yes you can start a company on a 476.  See https://asic.gov.au/for-business/registering-a-company/steps-to-register-a-company/minimum-officeholders/

However, as a 476 is only valid for 18 months, at the end of your stay you would have to either appoint another resident Director, or close the company.


 

 

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×