AlexC

Travel while on working holiday visa and BVA

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit confused about the possibility of leaving and coming back to Australia. I'm currently here on a Working Holiday visa which is valid until May 2019. I just applied for the partner visa 820 and was granted the Bridging visa A (woohoo!). 

Now in the grant letter it actually states 'This bridging visa will end if you leave Australia'. Does this also count if I leave while my working holiday visa is still active? I was planning to go and visit my family in March or April.

I've searched online and found people saying both: either (1) the BVA ends as soon as I leave and will have to be reinstated somehow when I come back (how?), or (2) I'll still be on the WHV so I'll be totally fine, the BVA will only start in May anyway. 

The grant letter also states that the BVA will only become active once the WHV has expired, but still, I'd just like to be 100% sure.

Finally I also found this on the Dept of Home Affairs website (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/020-?

If you still hold a substantive visa that allows you to travel and you believe you can return to Australia before your substantive visa ends, it is your decision whether or not you want to apply for and be granted a BVB before you travel.

What do they mean by 'it's your decision'?? Is it safer to apply for a BVB just to be sure? 

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Firstly, you can check your current visa status on VEVO (Visa Entitlement Verification Online).

You still hold a substantive visa, being the working holiday visa. The Bridging Visa A will not become active until that visa ends. If your working holiday visa allows you to travel, then you can travel on that visa. If your substantive visa ends while you are outside Australia and you do not hold a Bridging visa B, you will need to apply for and be granted a substantive visa before you can return to Australia. There is no guarantee that you will be granted a visa.

gRP3y0B.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

@AlexC You can still travel on you WHV as you BVA doesn't activate until you WHV has expired. 

I was the same, I had my BVA granted November 2017 however my WHV didnt expire until May 2018. I traveled outside the country in feb 2018 and was fine. 

However now when I want to leave i have to apply for a BVB or i wont get back in. 

Hope this helps :) 

Oh one more thing, do I have to declare anywhere (like in ImmiAccount or via email) that I'll be traveling overseas while still on the WHV? 

I have to leave for overseas tomorrow unexpectedly so would appreciate any help!

2 hours ago, AlexC said:

Oh one more thing, do I have to declare anywhere (like in ImmiAccount or via email) that I'll be traveling overseas while still on the WHV? 

I have to leave for overseas tomorrow unexpectedly so would appreciate any help!

If your WHV allows for travel, then there is no requirement. Also refer to exact visa conditions on your visa grant notice.

gRP3y0B.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.