Xavier

[ 309 Partner Visa ] Sponsor requirement: " usually lives in Australia"

Hello my friends! We are planning to apply for a Partner Visa but after consulting with 2 agents and getting wrong advice I decided to start my research bymyself. My situation is: me and my partner (married) are in relationship for 2 years. He is Australian PR however he's not living in Australia for the last two years as we live together in other country. Looking quickly at the immi page we saw that eligible sponsor "usually lives in Australia". We still couldn't understand if he's eligible or not even though the agent said it's not a problem. Does anyone know anything about it?  Thanks 

If he is in your country for 2 years, then no, he is not "usually lives in Australia" (sic) currently.

I have been living in China for over 13 years, I am sponsoring my Wife for the same Visa, I haven't come across that issue, only that I am an Australian Citizen - regardless of my homebase.

On 12/4/2018 at 11:43 AM, louis27 said:

can anyone actually say what is the requirements to sponsor? some reading material or form to give us an idea if we have a chance or not

At present the only requirements for a sponsor are that you are;

• an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • at least 18 years of age.
  • If you are sponsoring minors, you also need to meet the Child Welfare criteria (basically no criminal record relating to violence, domestic violence, sex crimes, or child abuse etc)
  • There is an un-official requirement being applied which effectively excludes anyone in prison
  • Although there is no financial criteria (at present, but the requirements change in early 2019) you can not a sponsor if you are an 'un-discharged bankrupt'.

The following **may** also apply to some applications; You cannot be a sponsor if you:

• were sponsored for a Partner or Prospective Spouse visa within the past five years
  • have previously sponsored two people for migration to Australia and they were granted a Partner or Prospective Marriage visa
  • have sponsored another person for migration to Australia within the past five years and they were granted a Partner or Prospective Marriage visa

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

13 hours ago, AussieDude said:

At present the only requirements for a sponsor are that you are;

• an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • at least 18 years of age.
  • If you are sponsoring minors, you also need to meet the Child Welfare criteria (basically no criminal record relating to violence, domestic violence, sex crimes, or child abuse etc)
  • There is an un-official requirement being applied which effectively excludes anyone in prison
  • Although there is no financial criteria (at present, but the requirements change in early 2019) you can not a sponsor if you are an 'un-discharged bankrupt'.

The following **may** also apply to some applications; You cannot be a sponsor if you:

• were sponsored for a Partner or Prospective Spouse visa within the past five years
  • have previously sponsored two people for migration to Australia and they were granted a Partner or Prospective Marriage visa
  • have sponsored another person for migration to Australia within the past five years and they were granted a Partner or Prospective Marriage visa

Thank you for your answer 😊