Delfo

Visa Chances for Unemployed Tourists

Hi all, thanks for the great help last time. My tourist visa was approved. Now, have to ask for my brother’s case. When my mom decided to apply for tourist visas last February, she did not think to include our youngest brother since he had visited Australia when he competed in the Junior Davis Cup when he was a student. Plus, our oldest brother’s not going either. When my visa got approved last October, the youngest brother expressed his interest to join since we’re now planning to watch the Australian Open. I mean, he IS the tennis player in the family. Problem is, their team in the company got dissolved last April, so he is now unemployed. He is waiting to take the civil service exam for a position in the government (this will take a few months). He also had torn ACL surgery last year and is now just starting to compete again in local tournaments. Would really love for him to try to go, but he’s not considering anymore since he’s scared he’s going to get rejected because of unemployment. Would like to ask what would be his chances. There are a lot of photos of him online currently competing. I can also present myself as the one paying for his trip (though I dont want to buy the tickets yet unlike in my parents, sister’s and my case where we already had flight tickets to present in the visa application). If he could present more tournament invitations, would it help? He’s 26, has an expired US visa (never used) and expired Korean visa (he was invited to compete in 2015). Just have Singapore for travel abroad after 2015.  He really should have applied together w my parents when he was still employed, but that’s done. What other measures or documents can we present to have a strong chance? Thanks a lot and would appreciate any feedback. 

We need to know what nationality is his passport?  Then we can help further.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

8 minutes ago, Delfo said:

Applying from the Philippines, thanks

Ok, thanks for the info.  As you probably know the Phillipines is considered a high risk country by IMMI, with regard to visa holders overstaying when here.  Hence High Risk applicants are more tightly examined with regard to the key criteria (Not going to work, has the money to live when here, has a compelling reason to return home at the end).

With your brothers situation, it will be the last aspect, that is him proving that he has a compelling and solid reason why he will return home at the end of his visa. Being 26 he is no kid, or dependant, and family ties are usually not solid reason with a mature adult.  Including him on your parents application will not give much benefit apart from demonstrating its a family trip.  But, even with a family application, individual visa's are granted.  

Solid employment in a good job is usually the best and easiest reason to state.  But even with a solid job, if its low paid, again IMMI might say that its not worth going back for.

I think he will struggle with getting a visa until his employment is solid.

But, other areas that may help in detailing a compelling reason are;

• Debts, loans, credit cards in his name at home
  • Leases, property, rental agreements in his name
  • Aging family that he is the sole care giver for (family doctor can attest to this)
  • Ongoing education, proof of enrollment, fees paid and letters of good character from his teachers
  • Significant and regular involvement with a community, religious or charitable organisation, as an office bearer, volunteer or worker.  Letters from organisation leaders, priests etc are required here.

I wish you all the best of luck.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.