Sign in to follow this  
J747

Partner visa ( Subclass 820 ) -

HI All,

Apologies if this has been covered before..I have tried to search.

My Girlfriend and I, live together outside Australia. She is a Australian Citizen. She lives outside of Australia With me.

We want to apply for a partner visa.  I understand we first have to get a temporary visa 820.

Do we need to live in Australia on the 820 while we wait for the Permanent Visa - 801? 

Is it a requirement to make use of the 820?

Thanks everyone,

J

• Yes, an 820 can only be applied ofr when EVERYONE is onshore, and no one has a condition 8503 applied to their current visa.  You apply and pay for both the 820 and the 801 at the same time.
  • You must be ONSHORE when the 820 is granted and also when the 801 is granted.  Failure to do so will result in the application being cancelled.
  • I suspect you may be better to apply from offshore, which is a Visa 309 leading to a 100 Visa.
  • Both visa options are expensive, around AU$7000, so it would be fool hardy to apply and not use it.

If you want to apply onshore for a 820/801, the sponsored (you) must be on a visa (travel, tourist, student) that does not have a condition 8503.  Not knowing your history with past AU visa's, please note that first time visitors to Australia, often get 8503 applied.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.