Sign in to follow this  
AussieDude

Visa Times, Delays, the waiting

Merry Xmas to all our dear readers.

I thought I would post a general note on Processing Times, Delays and the waiting...

For those of you not familiar with Australia, the main family holiday season surrounds the National Public Holidays for Christmas and the New Year.  Most schools stopped for a 6-8 week Summer Holidays in early December, and most do not return until mid January.  Its our annual holiday season.  Most companies impose forced closure and forced annual leave for the 2-3 weeks surrounding Xmas, and most Government departments drop to skeleton staff during this period.

Its also a very busy period for international tourists, especially from the frozen 🙂 Northern Hemisphere.  Its peak season for all travellers and tourists.  For the months preceding this period, IMMI is absolutely smashed with applications, and the processing times are at the very worst.  Today the 21-Dec being the last real work day for Australia, if you dont have a Visa Grant by now for December/January you are unlikely to get one.  Sorry, but thats the history we have seen over the years.

This time of year also seems to create a lot of special circumstance and distressed case visa requests, and a lot of mainstream staff (well those not on holiday) are often re-assigned to these special areas.

I had a chap IM me about a Visa re-application now, in the hope he will get a VV in time to attend the Australian Tennis Open, I sadly had to advise him that IMHO he would not get a decision in time.

If you dont have a visa grant, consider carefully before purchasing tickets and booking for hotels during this period.  Refunds are usually not an option for cancellations during the peak season.

As always, be patient, be patient, be patient, and have a Happy Festive Season, Good Health and Prosperity to you and your loved ones for 2019.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

Another point.  We see a lot of frustrated applicants asking how to complain about the delays and who to ring to hurry things along.

As frustrating and difficult the wait maybe, it will take what it takes.  The 'processing times' expressed on the IMMI website are not guarantees, or even targets, they are a pure statistical indicator, based on the past 12-18 months.  IMMI do not indicate guaranteed processing times, they do not indicate a service level or charter.  Even if you are months beyond the 'estimated processing times' you do not have a case to complain. It will take what it takes.

Except for a few, and serious situations, nothing or no-one (with exception to the Minister) can intervene and have an application given urgent or priority treatment.  First in first out, everyone is treated equally.  The exceptions I speak of refer to special cases where the applicant may be exposed to harm, danger or other serious risk if required to wait the standard processing times.  Pregnancy, financial hardship, personal difficulties are **usually** not a special case. 

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.