Sign in to follow this  
ObiwongKenobi

Visa 309 questions

Hi Everyone, 

This forum have been extremely helpful thus far while my partner and I are preparing to apply for her to join in in Australia. 

I am currently living in Perth and am a PR with a visa 189. 

Me and my wife have been together for 4 years and we got married in Singapore in April 2018. We have not applied for her PR so far due to work committments but it is finally time we are able to do so!

My questions are:

1. For the relationship statement, how important are individual parts. Me and my Wife have never lived together but we have been visiting each other/ keeping in constant contact over the last 4 years. I thus dont really have anything to write on the "household" part of the statement

2. She is occasionally known by a name that is not on her identity documents - Would i be able to use these emails/documents as proof of relationship (Given that the email addresses are the same) 

3. We have decided to apply for the 309/100 with hope that she will be able to be granted it in 2020 and can start work mid 2020, will that be a good idea compared to her coming over for good in May'19 this year and then applying for a 820? 

4. We are officially married in Singapore - will that make the process much more simpler in terms of evidences to provide? 

5. I understand that she will be eligible for medicare while on a bridging visa if she applies for a 820, If she was to come to visit me with a visitor visa of some other form, will i still be able to apply for Medicare benefits for her?

Thank you all so much for your help in this anxiety laden time. 

Best regards,
Jiahao Wong

1 very as it's the base of the application. You can use the time you were visiting to cover that. 

2. They are really only after official names,  happy to be corrected. 

3. It's a personal choice no one can really advise you there. 

4. No makes basically no practical difference.

5. Yes if you apply for the offshore and she is here on a visitor visa she is eligible for Medicare.  

Only thing to add to what Aussie_83 has said is to make sure you can explain in detail why you haven't lived together as its unusual that when you have visited each other you haven't lived together.

And on point number 2, just explain why the names are different as it's pretty common for people to use different names. There will be a question in the application asking if your been know by any other names, so make sure you note the other name/s in there.  

Thanks guys, we just never lived together I was studying and was on exchange back in Singapore when we met and since then I have always worked in Australia and her in Singapore. Also traditional chinese families and upbringing means marriage before we can even consider cohabitation. 

We do "break the rules" and stay together when visiting each other but definitely not for an extended period of time (more than 2 weeks) 

Thanks for the help anyway I think I have a better idea on how to put it across. 

Just be upfront and honest in your application, there is no issue with having strict cultural family values. Just think about the application in the sense that the person reading it knows nothing about you and maybe a little bit sceptical. So explain everything, don't leave it up to them to fill the gap you may leave.

As to the household question, explain the situation and explain how your 'household' worked when you were together, even the naughty times hahaha. Explain how you use to meet up for these 'naughty times' etc (not details of the naughty stuff) that's the stuff they want to know, the stuff normal couples do, they aren't judging what you do as such, they want to know that your a genuine married couple.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:53 PM, ObiwongKenobi said:

Thanks guys, we just never lived together I was studying and was on exchange back in Singapore when we met and since then I have always worked in Australia and her in Singapore. Also traditional chinese families and upbringing means marriage before we can even consider cohabitation. 

We do "break the rules" and stay together when visiting each other but definitely not for an extended period of time (more than 2 weeks) 

Thanks for the help anyway I think I have a better idea on how to put it across. 

The IMMI mantra is;

"A genuine and enduring relationship, to the exclusion of all others."

Establish that fact before IMMI and you will be fine.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:12 PM, Nightcall said:

Just be upfront and honest in your application, there is no issue with having strict cultural family values. Just think about the application in the sense that the person reading it knows nothing about you and maybe a little bit sceptical. So explain everything, don't leave it up to them to fill the gap you may leave.

As to the household question, explain the situation and explain how your 'household' worked when you were together, even the naughty times hahaha. Explain how you use to meet up for these 'naughty times' etc (not details of the naughty stuff) that's the stuff they want to know, the stuff normal couples do, they aren't judging what you do as such, they want to know that your a genuine married couple.

@ObiwongKenobi

@Nightcallis dead right.  Be open and honest.  I always say that if the relationship is genuine, IMMI will understand any exceptional circumstances.  There is always demonstrable evidence for a genuine relationship.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.