khunwilko

Recognition of adopted children

Several years ago, I considered applying for Australian Citizenship.

My adopted father was born in Australia, but I was told at the time that the Australian government didn't recognise adopted children.

Is this true

I was adopted at birth in UK.

No It's not true, well not in the last 30 years anyway, possible longer. 

As long as your adoptive father was a Australian citizen at birth and you are of 'good character' you can apply for citizenship by adoption. If your adoptive father was a citizen by other means there are different requirements but still possible. 

see here for further details.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/become-a-citizen/child-adopted-outside#Overview

On 1/5/2019 at 7:02 AM, khunwilko said:

Several years ago, I considered applying for Australian Citizenship.

My adopted father was born in Australia, but I was told at the time that the Australian government didn't recognise adopted children.

Is this true

I was adopted at birth in UK.

What you have heard concerns 'informal' adoption.

If a child was legally and formally adopted by an Australian Citizen, in a country that subscribes to the Hague Convention, then yes, they are eligible for Citizenship.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.