privatepilot

Refused tourist visa - subclass 600 visitor visa

My girlfriend applied for subclass 600 visitor visa which was refused because she doesn't have a job and hardly any savings. I gave her an invitation that said that I would be fully responsible for all costs and that she would be under my care and control in Australia, and that I guaranteed she would leave Australia before her visa expired. It seems this was a complete waste of time. Can I make a complaint to Immigration as I should be allowed to bring my girlfriend to Australia and who are they to say I can't. I am just really annoyed at the moment and she is devastated.  

My girlfriend applied for subclass 600 visitor visa which was refused because she doesn't have a job and hardly any savings. I gave her an invitation that said that I would be fully responsible for all costs and that she would be under my care and control in Australia, and that I guaranteed she would leave Australia before her visa expired. It seems this was a complete waste of time. Can I make a complaint to Immigration as I should be allowed to bring my girlfriend to Australia and who are they to say I can't. I am just really annoyed at the moment and she is devastated.  

Welcome privatepilot, 

Great to have yet another new member with us. Firstly, complaining to Immigration would be a waste of time. Your girlfriend has had her tourist visa refused because she hasn't met the criteria necessary for the grant of that visa. She can always reapply, but unless the next tourist visa application adequately addresses the reasons for the first tourist visa refusal, then the result will not be any different.

In the first instance how about providing us with some more details of your background and hers, what you do in Australia etc, where and when you met your girlfriend, time spent together etc. Certainly don't post any personal information that identifies either yourself or your girlfriend, but give us a thorough background of the relationship between yourself and your girlfriend. Perhaps then we can give you some advice and see what options you may have.

Lastly, I have amended the title of your thread to make it more relevant to our members. It will also help to know which country your girlfriend is from as well. 

Welcome privatepilot, 

Great to have yet another new member with us. Firstly, complaining to Immigration would be a waste of time. Your girlfriend has had her tourist visa refused because she hasn't met the criteria necessary for the grant of that visa. She can always reapply, but unless the next tourist visa application adequately addresses the reasons for the first tourist visa refusal, then the result will not be any different.

In the first instance how about providing us with some more details of your background and hers, what you do in Australia etc, where and when you met your girlfriend, time spent together etc. Certainly don't post any personal information that identifies either yourself or your girlfriend, but give us a thorough background of the relationship between yourself and your girlfriend. Perhaps then we can give you some advice and see what options you may have.

Lastly, I have amended the title of your thread to make it more relevant to our members. It will also help to know which country your girlfriend is from as well. 

Me : I am 27, full time employed, licensed aircraft maintenance engineer, rent my apartment, and have just under 12 thousand in savings. Never been married and don't have kids. 

Her: 21 from Pattaya, Thailand, currently unemployed. Prior to that she was working in a beer bar as a cashier (when I met her) but she has now gone back up to her village in Khonkaen. She has never been married but has a 2 year old son who is cared for by her mother and step-father. She is now back in the village with her son.

I met her online at the beginning of April and then traveled to Thailand see her for a week from the 20th to the 28th of April. We spent the whole time together and got to know each other very well. I would really like her to come back to Australia for at least 6 months which is what she asked for in her tourist visa application.

When I returned to Australia I sent her an invitation and she, with the help of a friend of hers, submitted the tourist visa application herself in Bangkok. She got an SMS notification last Tuesday that her passport was ready for collection, but when she collected it she got a letter that her visa was refused for the reasons I posted earlier. 

Hope this has helped. Any ideas?

Me : I am 27, full time employed, licensed aircraft maintenance engineer, rent my apartment, and have just under 12 thousand in savings. Never been married and don't have kids. 

Her: 21 from Pattaya, Thailand, currently unemployed. Prior to that she was working in a beer bar as a cashier (when I met her) but she has now gone back up to her village in Khonkaen. She has never been married but has a 2 year old son who is cared for by her mother and step-father. She is now back in the village with her son.

I met her online at the beginning of April and then traveled to Thailand see her for a week from the 20th to the 28th of April. We spent the whole time together and got to know each other very well. I would really like her to come back to Australia for at least 6 months which is what she asked for in her tourist visa application.

When I returned to Australia I sent her an invitation and she, with the help of a friend of hers, submitted the tourist visa application herself in Bangkok. She got an SMS notification last Tuesday that her passport was ready for collection, but when she collected it she got a letter that her visa was refused for the reasons I posted earlier. 

Hope this has helped. Any ideas?

Any visitor to Australia must satisfy the genuine visitor criteria. If they don't, then their tourist visa application must be refused. This is what has happened to your girlfriend it would appear.

A genuine visitor is someone who wants to visit Australia for tourist purposes only, has adequate funds to support themselves in Australia, and will depart Australia prior to their tourist visa expiring. Very importantly DIAC will look at ALL of the applications personal circumstances in determining whether this genuine intention exists.

Your girlfriend is unemployed, has no savings, and comes from a high risk country (Thailand). There is a very strong likelihood in DIAC's eye's that based on her personal circumstances there is a risk that she may overstay or breach one of the conditions of her tourist visa if granted. DIAC have therefore refused her a tourist visa as she has not satisfied the genuine visitor criteria.

I note that you gave her an invitation (letter of support) that you would support her for her stay in Australia. Whilst DIAC does take offers of support into consideration, her personal circumstances significantly outweigh your offer to support her in Australia. As there is no legal obligation to provide any support offered, DIAC needs to see that you have known her for a period of time so that significant weight can be attached to your letter of support. You have really only known her for a month however, and even then it has been one visit to Thailand for a week to see her. I am afraid her tourist visa application was doomed from the get go.

As previously stated she can reapply, but I would certainly not recommend that she does this before being able to address the reasons for the first tourist visa refusal. I would suggest that this is not before you have known her for at least 6 months, and been back to Thailand to visit her more than just once.  Whilst a subsequent application does not have to evidence you are in a relationship, it should clearly evidence that you have known your girlfriend for a sufficient period time so that weight can be attached to your letter of support and then perhaps that will outweigh her personal circumstances that saw the first tourist visa being refused. 

I hope this has helped.

Hi Private Pilot,

Sorry to read your girlfriend was refused a tourist visa,

For your next application keep all records of text, phone, skype and photo's of you both together especially with family and not ones in bars. If you send her money keep records of that as well, all this is for showing connection and support. Longevity of your relationship is a big one as well but all these thing will only give "weight" to your letter of support and invitation.

The visa is her's not yours and she must meet the requirements as a genuine " TOURIST". When she writes her letter next time make sure she talks about what she wants to see and do in Australia. Try for a three month one next time, with a six month one she needed a medical report and I did not read if she supplied this and has she been abroad before? 

Immigration want to see that she will return to Thailand at the end of her visa and that she can show good reason to, children, job, assets, etc.

My girlfriend will be here in 3 weeks on her 2nd visa and when I sent her my paperwork it weighed just under a kilo from all the records, ha ha and my girlfriend and I are at the 18 month + stage.

Don't give up just take a step back and make sure you both get all the things required, cross the T's and dot the I's and it will happen. Put this one down to the learning curve and wait a bit longer, you will be glad you did.

Best of luck, Cilla

Hi Private Pilot,

Sorry to read your girlfriend was refused a tourist visa,

For your next application keep all records of text, phone, skype and photo's of you both together especially with family and not ones in bars. If you send her money keep records of that as well, all this is for showing connection and support. Longevity of your relationship is a big one as well but all these thing will only give "weight" to your letter of support and invitation.

The visa is her's not yours and she must meet the requirements as a genuine " TOURIST". When she writes her letter next time make sure she talks about what she wants to see and do in Australia. Try for a three month one next time, with a six month one she needed a medical report and I did not read if she supplied this and has she been abroad before? 

Immigration want to see that she will return to Thailand at the end of her visa and that she can show good reason to, children, job, assets, etc.

My girlfriend will be here in 3 weeks on her 2nd visa and when I sent her my paperwork it weighed just under a kilo from all the records, ha ha and my girlfriend and I are at the 18 month + stage.

Don't give up just take a step back and make sure you both get all the things required, cross the T's and dot the I's and it will happen. Put this one down to the learning curve and wait a bit longer, you will be glad you did.

Best of luck, Cilla

Cilla, a very good post with lot's of quality advice for private pilot - thanks.

You really hit the nail on the head when you said it is "her visa and not yours", and this is exactly what people have to remember. First and foremost it is an objective assessment of the "applicants" personal circumstances that will determine whether a genuine intention exists to visit Australia as a visitor only. Whilst letters of support are certainly taken into consideration, they certainly do not guarantee an applicant a visa.

In regards to the medical assessment. Indeed applicants from Thailand intending to stay in Australia for a period in excess of 3 months must undergo a chest x-ray. This however cannot be done until the applicant is advised to do so by the Embassy, and it must then be done at an approved hospital in Thailand and the correct procedure followed.

Some really good advice here. I agree with the previous posters. It is all about building a solid profile of evidence that can be presented to Immigration. They wont simply rely on what you tell them, they want proof. As the previous poster put it, dot your i's and cross your t's.

hi im new here and i want to ask advice what to do i been to australia few times and this month i got refused what to do to re apply again this november ano ba dapat sa next application do i need to write a letter and please help what to put on the letter.

RonA_Crisna.   W

hi im new here and i want to ask advice what to do i been to australia few times and this month i got refused what to do to re apply again this november ano ba dapat sa next application do i need to write a letter and please help what to put on the letter.

What was the explanation for the refusal.  There is always a written reason.   Include it here word for word and we may be able to help.

i think the more times you come.. or go anywhere over and over it may get harder to justify being a "tourist" and not doing business, working or cultivating a relationship. i went to chengdu china 7 times and it got harder. anyway as above what was the reason? how many times over what period?

I applied for 12 months this time and got refused  there decision said that i dont have enough evidence of coming back to my country since i am unemployed and they and they are worried that i will overstay in Australia. I complied all the conditions of my visas ,cause i am truely a genuine tourist ,,,How can i reapply again and what is the format of writing a letter addressing to the refusal of the visa ? i submitted this documents- passport copy,travel histroy,visas copies,birthcertifacate,police clearance ,bank certificate

plus my boyfriend documents.

what other documents i need to submitted to proved that i am genuine and will come back on my country before the expiration of my visa?

please help me!

I applied for 12 months this time and got refused  there decision said that i dont have enough evidence of coming back to my country since i am unemployed and they and they are worried that i will overstay in Australia. I complied all the conditions of my visas ,cause i am truely a genuine tourist ,,,How can i reapply again and what is the format of writing a letter addressing to the refusal of the visa ? i submitted this documents- passport copy,travel histroy,visas copies,birthcertifacate,police clearance ,bank certificate

plus my boyfriend documents.

what other documents i need to submitted to proved that i am genuine and will come back on my country before the expiration of my visa?

You can re-please help me!

You can re-apply straight away.  But make sure you dont waste your visa fee.

It sounds like you were refused as you did not provide sufficient reason you would return to your home country.  What is your home country?

This is the hardest part of a Tourist Visa application.  You must prove that there is a good reason you will return.  Proof of a job (letter from employer) proof of a debt or loan, a lease, rental agreement, proof you care for an ageing parent (letter from family doctor). Proof you care for children etc.

The best is proof of a job, and a letter from a your employer.

If your boyfriend is on a PR, he may be able to sponsor you under the family stream.

Can you copy the letter of refusal and post here?

hai Jaidee

i am unemployed since my boyfriend are supporting me. You said that he can sponsor me on Family stream.How? I thought only family member are the one that apply that stream?

I am from the PHILIPPINES.

Do you think applying next year january would be a good idea and what evidence i can show them that i am genuine ,i am unemployed . can you please give me your email and i will send the refusal letter to yours ?

ive read on post here she said she got refused for the first time cause she dont have evidence to coming back to the country and she applied for the next time she's been granted and she is unemployed though.

If your boyfriend is on a PR, he may be able to sponsor you under the family stream.\

Please can you explain PR. My partner (of short time) is having trouble with the letter guaranteeing employment. She has worked same factory for 7 years. They wont help here Leave. They want here to stay!!

If your boyfriend is on a PR, he may be able to sponsor you under the family stream.\

Please can you explain PR. My partner (of short time) is having trouble with the letter guaranteeing employment. She has worked same factory for 7 years. They wont help here Leave. They want here to stay!!

To be able to sponsor a family member under the visitor visa, the sponsor must be either a Citizen or a PR Permanent Resident.

Boyfriends/Girlfriends are not considered Family.

Getting the letter from the employer is sometimes hard. A tip is to write the letter for them and just ask them to sign.

Hi, I'm from the Philippines.. i got my tourist visa denied just this week. 

Here's the reason it was refused. Can I still reapply for the same visa class?

Based on information and documents, the applicant has been employed as an independent
contractor with --- since December 2017. However, I have concerns that her
employment may not provide sufficient incentive to induce her to return to the Philippines
within the validity of her visa. I have considered the offer of support provided by her friend
in Australia. Generally, however, offers of support or guarantees given by family and friends
in Australia are not sufficient evidence of a genuine temporary stay. The onus is on the
applicant to satisfy the decision maker that the applicant intends only to stay temporarily in
Australia.
I am not satisfied that the applicant’s personal circumstances support her claims that she
intends to temporarily stay in Australia as a visitor. Therefore, I find that she does not meet
clause 600.211.