Shauno1983

Sample letter of support for tourist visa application

Hi Everyone, 

Was waiting on the Visa Application to be Processed before posting my Letter of Invitation and Support on the Forum. The Visitor Visa has been processed now and the Girlfriend is on her way to Bangkok to pick up the (Hopefully Visa) waiting at VFS. (Fingers Crossed Everyone) I will know in the Morning.

For everyone currently completing Applications, Here is a copy of my Letter of Invitation. Personally I think I put a little too much into the Letter and it could easily be shortened and more to the point however these long-winded Letters have served me well so far in my Visa Journey.

******************************** Example Letter of Support for Tourist Visa Application *************************************

Australian Embassy, Bangkok

37 South Sathorn Road,

Bangkok, Thailand

RE: VISITOR VISA APPLICATION (TOURIST STREAM) FOR MISS. LEK NOI

Passport Number: ABC123455

ID Card: 123456789

Letter of Support from Mr. John Smith

Australian Passport Number: ABC12353344

Address: 123 Jones St, Smithfield, South Australia  

Date: 1 June 2013

To Whom it may Concern,

My name is John Smith and I am an Australian Citizen by Birth. I am a Graduate from the Australian University where I completed my studies in Engineering

I am currently employed by ABC Pty Ltd at Adelaide as the Sales Manager. My salary is A$50,000 per year gross, plus superannuation. (Attached is a Letter of Employment from my Employer). I have been involved in the Engineering Industry in Australia for 10 Years.

I am writing this letter in support of the above application for a Visitor’s Visa. I met Lek in January of 2012 in Bangkok where she was accompanying her sister in search of a University.

Our relationship quickly developed and I accompanied her back to Phuket where we began living as a couple in her Parent's home for a period of 2 months. At this stage I was required to return to Australia for work purposes and left Thailand on the 10th of March 2013 (1 day after my birthday as she wanted to spend it with me.) During my time in Australia we continued our relationship on Facebook and Skype. Starting from when we woke up until when we went to bed there would be barely 5 minutes between communication for the entire 2 months I remained in Australia. I have included extracts of these communications however there are thousands of pages and including them all would be impractical.

I returned to Thailand on the 30th of July 2012 and she was waiting to collect me from the Airport. From there we took a bus back to her home Province and again began living as a couple in her Parents' Home. On the 30th of August 2012 we made an application for a Visitor Visa for Lek to visit my home in Adelaide, Australia. The reason for that application was due to our relationship becoming more serious and as such we felt it important for Lek to see Australia, meet my Family and Friends and experience the Australian way of life including cultural differences between the two countries. The application was approved on the 15th of September 2012 and we booked flights to Australia. Lek and I both arrived in Adelaide on the 2nd of October 2012 (Attached are Itineraries from the Airlines).

During Lek's stay in Australia (3 Months) we have engaged in a wide range of Tourist Activities including a visit to Adelaide Wildlife Park to see the Kangaroo's, Seaworld in Queensland to see the assorted Marine Life in South  Australia, Shark Island for Snorkeling and Tours of the Island, Lek for a lesson on the History of South Australia, The Adelaide River by Tour Cruise, The Adelaide Valley, South Australia Entertainment Complex as well as visited the Adelaide Theatre and various Festivals including the Food and Wine Festival at the South Australian Exhibition Centre and of course Adelaide City and the Adelaide Tower. (Attached is Evidence of these visits including Photographs)

Lek departed Australia on the 2nd of January 2013 in compliance with her Visa and has returned to Thailand.  

Initially our plan was to visit Australia jointly and for both of us to return to Thailand on the 2nd of January, unfortunately however we have had to make changes to those plans due to serious changes of my employment which saw me being promoted to regional sales manager and as such I am now limited in the amount of time I can have away from work for at least the next 6 months.

Lek is now making a second application for a Visitor Visa (Tourist Stream) for a period of 6 months. We do understand that an application for a Visitor Visa (Tourist Stream) is for "Short Visits of Family and Friends or Holiday Purposes" and although she has just completed a stay in Australia we still believe this is the correct visa given our situation. I will explain this reasoning below:

Our relationship is continuing to develop and we both believe it is beneficial to carefully grow as a couple and not rush into the commitment of marriage. While we are both completely in love we see it as important to build a strong foundation for a relationship.

The 3 months we had together in Australia were wonderful however it was not long enough to make a firm decision on the country we wish to reside in (in the future). Lek has not had time to evaluate day to day life in Australia and as such cannot commit to wanting a life in Australia (making a migration visa pointless).

3 months did not give us sufficient time to complete many of the activities we had planned, including visiting Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane  and Perth. (My sister now lives in Hobart and Lek has always wanted to see the Sydney Opera House).

My employer has explained to me that given my new position it is important that I remain in the country for at least the next 6 months. Being physically apart from Lek at this point in our relationship would cause a severe strain on both of us emotionally which in turn would affect all aspects of our lives negatively.

Once again I can assure you that I will guarantee Lek will meet the obligations of her visa by not engaging in Employment while in Australia and exiting Australia before the expiration of her Visa.

Given the fact that the possibility exists of applying for a migration visa at a later date it would be in our best interests to comply with all obligations and restrictions of any visa granted to Lek

I would also like to assure the Embassy that on exhaustion of the 6 month Visitor Visa I would be returning to Thailand with Lek and at that point I believe we would be in a position to make a more permanent decision on our future.

In closing I would like to draw your attention to evidence supplied which shows a Genuine Relationship and a Genuine reason for Lek to return to Thailand before the expiration of her Visa. I would also like to draw your attention to the fact that Lek met all obligations during her last visit to Australia and I met all obligations guaranteed in my letter of support on her last visit to Australia.

In total since meeting Lek in January of 2012 we have physically resided together for 8 months of the 10 months we have known each other and during the 2 months apart we were in constant contact.

I undertake to provide all expenses and provide full lodging for  Lek at 123 Jones St, Smithfield, South Australia  whilst she is in Australia. Furthermore I will ensure that she does not engage in employment activities while in Australia and is covered by Full Comprehensive Travel Insurance.

I can be contacted at any time on my Australian Land Line (02) 99999999, Work Land Line (02) 99999999 or Mobile Number 04000000000

I have included some background information about myself and our relationship as listed below:

1. A Copy of my Thai Bank Passbook which Details my Support for her in Thailand
  2. A Letter from my Employer detailing my Employment.
  3. Copies of the Relevant Pages of my Australian Passport containing Thai Entry Stamps.
  4. Extracts from Facebook of our Conversations while I was in Australia.
  5. Photos of us together in Thailand and Records from our Holiday to Chiang Rai.
  6. Photos of us in Australia and Records from various places we Visited.
  7. Letters from Family and Friends detailing our Relationship is Genuine.
  8. Stat Dec guaranteeing my full support for Lek during her Australian Visit.
  9. Stat Dec guaranteeing I will assure Lek meets the obligations of her Visa.Letter from my Employer explaining the impact on the Business should I return to Thailand before the 6 month mark.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information.

NOTE:- Post has been edited by Kanga solely to add fictitious name, dates and place only. ALL personal information is entirely fictitious.  

Well done Shauno. Thank you for making such a valuable contribution to the forum. It certainly sounds like your girlfriend has been granted the 6 month tourist visa, but please update us as soon you know.

Whilst this letter of support should be used as a guide only due to the fact that people circumstances will always be different. This serves as a great example of a thoroughly well prepared letter of support for a tourist visa.

Shauno, thanks for posting your letter of support for your girlfriends tourist visa application. You put a lot of work into it and it shows. 

Was she granted the 6 months tourist visa?

Yes she was. 6 Month Tourist Visa Granted

-NO FURTHER STAY

-NO WORK

-STUDY LIMITATION

^^ Standard Conditions

Yes she was. 6 Month Tourist Visa Granted

-NO FURTHER STAY

-NO WORK

-STUDY LIMITATION

^^ Standard Conditions

Thanks for the update Shauno. That is great news. How long until she flies over to Australia.

Im flying to Thailand on the 23rd (Sunday), spending a day in Bangkok and then we are both flying back to Australia on Tuesday the 25th!

Her return ticket has her back in Thailand on the 20th of December.

Im flying to Thailand on the 23rd (Sunday), spending a day in Bangkok and then we are both flying back to Australia on Tuesday the 25th!

Her return ticket has her back in Thailand on the 20th of December.

Yikes 24 hours in Bangkok is not enough ..... lol

Shauno,

That was a very comprehensive letter of support that you prepared for your Thai girlfriends tourist visa application. You got the desired result too. Thank's for taking the time to share it with the forum. Well done.

A letter of support is vitally important where a tourist visa applicant is relying upon the support of another person to satisfy the "adequate funds" criteria. Secondly, DIAC being able to attach weight to the letter of support is also equally as important. For example, if a tourist visa applicant is relying upon the support of an Australian sponsor that they have never met, then DIAC will take the view that that person has no moral obligation to provide the support offered and no weight will be attached to it.  

My wife will apply for her marriage spouse visa next week and we then intend for her to apply for a visitor visa so that she can come to Australia before her visa is granted. This is a great find, thanks for posting. It will certainly help me draft my own letter of support.

Thank you so much for this, it will help me immensely. I'm struggling to write my own letter of support for my husband (we have known each other 7 months and married 1 month ago) - we are currently living in Mexico but I am pregnant (first child) and want to go home to Australia to give birth in December and stay for the support of my family. Obviously it takes too long (13 months) to process a partner visa. Baby is due in December. We are applying for 12 month tourist visa in the hopes of being granted 6 months. I haven't been able to find any reliable information on how much money constitutes "adequate funds". It's tricky because he is an artist and I am a teacher here in Mexico, both getting paid in cash. We have only my Australian bank accounts showing approx $12,000 but no recent history of regular deposits from employment and no current employment in Australia. It will be his first time in Australia, and my parents have offered for us to stay with them for the entire 6 months rent free - baby and all! I will be able to find work after baby is born so I can support us and start the grueling process of the partner visa. We plan to return to Mexico until the partner visa is granted. ANY advice regarding letters and supporting documentation would be more than welcome! Thank you, Catie.

Thank you so much for this, it will help me immensely. I'm struggling to write my own letter of support for my husband (we have known each other 7 months and married 1 month ago) - we are currently living in Mexico but I am pregnant (first child) and want to go home to Australia to give birth in December and stay for the support of my family. Obviously it takes too long (13 months) to process a partner visa. Baby is due in December. We are applying for 12 month tourist visa in the hopes of being granted 6 months. I haven't been able to find any reliable information on how much money constitutes "adequate funds". It's tricky because he is an artist and I am a teacher here in Mexico, both getting paid in cash. We have only my Australian bank accounts showing approx $12,000 but no recent history of regular deposits from employment and no current employment in Australia. It will be his first time in Australia, and my parents have offered for us to stay with them for the entire 6 months rent free - baby and all! I will be able to find work after baby is born so I can support us and start the grueling process of the partner visa. We plan to return to Mexico until the partner visa is granted. ANY advice regarding letters and supporting documentation would be more than welcome! Thank you, Catie.

Catie,
You won't find any reference to what dollar-amount constitutes "adequate funds" as it really comes down to the applicant's purpose for wanting to visit Australia. To give an example a tourist visa applicant wanting to visit the Barrier Reef for 6 months of scuba diving and staying in a hotel in Cairns, would need a lot more money than say someone in your husbands situation where accommodation is provided. It really comes down to purpose and duration of the applicants proposed stay. I would say that $12,000 is enough where accommodation support is being provided. However I can see some major hurdles.
  • Notwithstanding that you are pregnant you haven't know your husband for an overly long period of time.
  • Both you and your husband employment is not strong (cash-in-hand)
  • The lengthy accommodation support is being offered by your parents, and I assume they haven't as yet met your husband. I think this will be a big obstacle. 
You have stated that your future intention is to apply for the partner visa. If I was in your situation I would be applying for the partner visa now, and then applying for the tourist visa to visit Australia during the processing of the partner visa. 

Then in the letter of support for the tourist visa I would be mentioning that your husband's partner visa has already been submitted, and you are both well aware that a decision cannot be made on the partner visa application whilst he is in Australia, and that he must depart Australia prior to his tourist visa expiring. You would of course mention that the reason for wanting to visit Australia is the birth of your child.

Based on what you have posted, I just feel that you need to give them (DIAC) something more.  

You have stated that your future intention is to apply for the partner visa. If I was in your situation I would be applying for the partner visa now, and then applying for the tourist visa to visit Australia during the processing of the partner visa. 

Then in the letter of support for the tourist visa I would be mentioning that your husband's partner visa has already been submitted, and you are both well aware that a decision cannot be made on the partner visa application whilst he is in Australia, and that he must depart Australia prior to his tourist visa expiring. You would of course mention that the reason for wanting to visit Australia is the birth of your child.

Good call - thanks for the advice. We are mid-translating and certifying documents for both visa applications, a time consuming and costly process. If we send the partner visa application first, how long do you think it will be until we get a receipt number that we can refer to in the tourist visa application? Given the need to fly before 35 weeks, time is of the essence! Thanks for your help... my first reply and already I got more out of it than talking to the department.

Good call - thanks for the advice. We are mid-translating and certifying documents for both visa applications, a time consuming and costly process. If we send the partner visa application first, how long do you think it will be until we get a receipt number that we can refer to in the tourist visa application? Given the need to fly before 35 weeks, time is of the essence! Thanks for your help... my first reply and already I got more out of it than talking to the department.

I cant see any issue at all with you submitting both applications at the same time (have done this many times before). It will not be too hard for the Embassy to see that you have submitted a tourist during the processing of a partner visa. 

Just in relation to the partner visa application, it is a requirement under the Migration Regulations that you provide a "valid" application. This needs to be differentiated from a "complete" application. It is not always possible to have every bit of supporting documentation ready for when you submit the application. There is no problem with submitting an application and advising what supporting documentation is outstanding and when it is expect that it will be provided. 

Great letter shauno. The no further stay part does that mean she can not apply again for a tourist visa or just can't apply to stay a bit longer than the 6 months?

It just means that whilst she is in Australia if her tourist visa has that condition attached to it she cannot apply for any other visa whilst in Australia. 

Thanks Shauno,

I took in all of your advice and used your letter as a rough template.

From me organising all the paperwork to my girlfriend submitting it to the VFS office and receiving the visa approval today was all of 6 weeks.

A little bit of running around but well worth it saving the money and doing the application yourself.

Visa approved today and girlfriend arriving Saturday. Happy days 

Thanks Shauno,

From me organising all the paperwork to my girlfriend submitting it to the VFS office and receiving the visa approval today was all of 6 weeks.

A little bit of running around but well worth it saving the money and doing the application yourself.

Great News Stevie!!!

I am about to embark on the Partner Visa Application *Ugh*

I have a Headache Already!

All in all from what I have learned... if you do your research and address everything that is required by Law, be friendly and ensure you work on Providing more than is Required instead of doing a Half-Assed Job! chances are you will be Approved. Congrats and let us all know how she likes Australia!

Shauno

Hi Shaunno, it was a well written letter of support. My Boyfriend and I are in the process also of applying visitor visa for Australia this month. He lives in woywoy new south wales and  I am under work permit in Malaysia and I do believe that I can be granted a tourist visa. Can you give me an advise how to go on processing a tourist visa under work permit with a multiple entry? my boyfriend already sent me his letter of invitation but its not as comprehensive as you made it.  Might be denied maybe you can give me idea how can I present my letter of employment that I can be back despite I will have a vacation in Australia?

Thank you very much. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Maria

Hi Shaunno, it was a well written letter of support. My Boyfriend and I are in the process also of applying visitor visa for Australia this month. He lives in woywoy new south wales and  I am under work permit in Malaysia and I do believe that I can be granted a tourist visa. Can you give me an advise how to go on processing a tourist visa under work permit with a multiple entry? my boyfriend already sent me his letter of invitation but its not as comprehensive as you made it.  Might be denied maybe you can give me idea how can I present my letter of employment that I can be back despite I will have a vacation in Australia?

Thank you very much. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Maria

Thanks Shauno,

That's great news Stevie.

We greatly appreciate our member Shauno posting his letter of support. Many people have used this to guide them in preparing a letter of support for a tourist visa.