• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PattayaMan

PattayaMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hey, just came across this forum. Great stuff.

I have just started the daunting process of applying for an Oz tourist visa (subclass 676) for my Thai girlfriend.

I have looked over the DIAC website and there seems to be two application forms, a Form 48r and a 48rtha. One is in English and the other in Thai. I tried to contact the Australian Embassy in Bangkok to find out which one to use, but hung up after being on hold for over 30 minutes. Does anyone know the difference?

PattayaMan

#2 Kanga

Kanga

Staff

• Moderators
  • 341 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

Hey, just came across this forum. Great stuff.

I have just started the daunting process of applying for an Oz tourist visa (subclass 676) for my Thai girlfriend.

I have looked over the DIAC website and there seems to be two application forms, a Form 48r and a 48rtha. One is in English and the other in Thai. I tried to contact the Australian Embassy in Bangkok to find out which one to use, but hung up after being on hold for over 30 minutes. Does anyone know the difference?

PattayaMan

Hi PattayaMan,

Welcome to the forum. The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) publishes certain forms (such as the tourist visa application form - Form 48r) in languages other than English, and Thai is just one of them. Your girlfriend can fill out either the one in English or the one in Thai (Form 48rtha). As you girlfriend is responsible for the answers given on the form she might be well advised to complete the one in Thai so that she fully understand the questions on the form. Although the Form 48rtha is in Thai, all answer must however be completed in English. I hope this has helped answer your question.

Kanga

Posted Image

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

#3 PattayaMan

PattayaMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:58 AM

Kanga,

Thanks for that. My girlfriend has now completed the form 48rtha.

One of the questions on the application form says, "is someone else providing support for your visit to Australia"? For this my girlfriend put down my details, as I will be providing all accomodation and financial support whilst she is in Australia. I will also pay for her return airfare from Bangkok to Sydney and travel insurance. I am also happy to guarantee that she will return to Thailand before her visa expires.

It says on the 48rtha the following, "The person or people you have listed will need to provide evidence of their ability to provide this support". Can you give me an idea as to what I should provide? Also do I send this information myself to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok or give it to my girlfriend to submit with the tourist visa application?

Just by way of background, I have known my girlfriend for just over nine months. We met in Pattaya when I was in Thailand for 10 days last September. I have since made three visit back to Thailand during this time to see her. We have been to Phuket and Koh Samui together and have also spent time with her mother at Udon Thani where she is originally from. I am employed as an electrician and earn approximately fifty eight thousand dollars a year. I have my own place with a small mortgage.

The main purpose of wanting to get a tourist visa is to see if my girlfriend likes it in Australia. I know Australian and Thai cultures are very different, so it is important to see how she likes it before we decide on any future plans together. If all goes well we may look into a partner visa, but at this stage we are just focused on the tourist visa.

#4 Kanga

Kanga

Staff

• Moderators
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

Kanga,

Thanks for that. My girlfriend has now completed the form 48rtha.

One of the questions on the application form says, "is someone else providing support for your visit to Australia"? For this my girlfriend put down my details, as I will be providing all accomodation and financial support whilst she is in Australia. I will also pay for her return airfare from Bangkok to Sydney and travel insurance. I am also happy to guarantee that she will return to Thailand before her visa expires.

It says on the 48rtha the following, "The person or people you have listed will need to provide evidence of their ability to provide this support". Can you give me an idea as to what I should provide? Also do I send this information myself to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok or give it to my girlfriend to submit with the tourist visa application?

Just by way of background, I have known my girlfriend for just over nine months. We met in Pattaya when I was in Thailand for 10 days last September. I have since made three visit back to Thailand during this time to see her. We have been to Phuket and Koh Samui together and have also spent time with her mother at Udon Thani where she is originally from. I am employed as an electrician and earn approximately fifty eight thousand dollars a year. I have my own place with a small mortgage.

The main purpose of wanting to get a tourist visa is to see if my girlfriend likes it in Australia. I know Australian and Thai cultures are very different, so it is important to see how she likes it before we decide on any future plans together. If all goes well we may look into a partner visa, but at this stage we are just focused on the tourist visa.

PattayaMan

You should provide your girlfriend with a letter of support which she would then submit together with her tourist visa application to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok. When she submits her tourist visa application it can be sent directly to the Embassy or lodged in person at the Australian Visa Application Centre on Sathorn Road in Bangkok. Current processing times for tourist visa application as advised by the Australian Embassy in Bangkok is 10 working days from date of application. Processing can take longer during peak periods, such as Thai holidays etc.

Below this post is a link to the Australian Visa Application Centre with a lot of useful information with regards to tourist visa application preparation and submission. You can also get further information from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website.

The letter of support you provide your girlfriend should describe in detail how long you have known her, together with any supporting documentation that supports this. You might want to include photographs of the two of you together, email contact, entry and exit stamps to Thailand etc. This list is by no means exhaustive, but it should give you the general idea.

Your letter of support should also state the level of support you are prepared to offer your girlfriend, such as airfares, meals, accommodation etc. You should also include supporting documentation that support this too, and shows that you have the ability to provide the level of support offered, again this list is not exhaustive, but might include, employee wage slips., bank statement, council rates notice or residential tenancy lease.

Australian Visa Application Centre in Bangkok

Hope this has helped.

Kanga

Posted Image

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

#5 TonyR

TonyR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

My girlfriend filled out the 48rtha, but we still got refused. Not that that played a part in it i'm sure. She is going to reapply in another 4 months when by then we have known each other for 6 months.

#6 Bridge

Bridge

Admin

• Administrators
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

My girlfriend filled out the 48rtha, but we still got refused. Not that that played a part in it i'm sure. She is going to reapply in another 4 months when by then we have known each other for 6 months.

Tony, substance over form prevails. Whether the Form 48r or 48rtha was used, it makes no absolutely difference. Hopefully the next tourist visa application will be a success. Good luck mate?

Signature.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users