joeldipops

Effect Of "adverse Immigration History" On Prospective Marriage Visa

Hi.  My Indonesian fiancee applied for a Prospective Marriage visa in April.  She overstayed the student visa she she was on when we met by about six months.  To be honest, if she had not overstayed that visa, our relationship would never have had time to get off the ground.

Less than a month after she applied, she got a phone call from the Embassy in Jakarta who interviewed/interrogated her about the overstay. Since then, the prcoess seems to have been progressing normally.  She was soon asked to submit her medical checks, and two or three months later we had a request to provide more information bout a certain document.

So at this stage I'm not particularly worried.  However I was reading through the other threads on the forum and in response to a question about processing times, one poster responsed along the lines of

"You can probably rely on it taking around 10-12 months unless you are somehow considered high risk *cough* overstay *cough*."

So I was hoping someone could provide some insight in to how exactly the overstay might affect our processing times or our chances of having the visa granted/rejected.

Thanks to anyone who can give us any information, and I hope that whatever answers I get can be useful to someone else on these forums in the future.

Cheers, J.

That was my comment, the overstay i believe will only bring extra scrutiny to make sure that it truly is a genuine relationship, on the india page it seems quite a few of them who have also had problems with overstays or rejected partner visa due to applying while on bridging visa seem to be taking a few months extra.

From what you have posted it all seems to be going well for you, but if i was you i would probably look at it taking the full 12 months anything less is a bonus for you.

When did you apply?

Overstay on legitimate Student Visa's is considered a minor infraction. You should be oK.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.