5 replies to this topic

#1 julia2346

julia2346

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:00 PM

Appreciate any advice on the following

My stepson (thou not legally adopted) since he was 3years old and now is an independent 25 year old would like to join us and live permanently in Australia.My wife and i have been married for 20years.

Can we obtain a visa under the family Visa option or must he now apply on his own behalf to migrate to Australia

Looking forward to any feedback

#2 AussieDude

AussieDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:59 PM

Yes in theory.

Family unification by definition can apply to people who are not direct blood or marital ties.  However, you will have to prove your relationship to his natural mother, and he will have to prove the same.

So this is where it gets difficult.  These cases are very hard to establish without the cooperation of your Stepsons Mother.

You will also have to prove that your relationship with him is real, enduring and spans 25 years.

This is a hard case.  I would consider a reputable Immigration Lawyer.

His nationality will have a major factor in the decision as well as he is an independant age,  I say this as this path has been used wrongly to bring over unrelated people for money.

#3 Mahi

Mahi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:20 PM

Hello 'Be Polite or Leave" I am new on this forum.. Could you please tell me how long it takes to get sponsor family visit visa for 12 month. I applied on 2 Dec 2015 received acknowledgment letter by email on next day, uploaded all documents on 18 Dec 2015, biometric and health clearance finalised on 29 Dec 2015- since then no updates- no case manager and usually it takes 6 weeks to get the visitor visa and my father age is 71 so no doubts they should have for his permanent stay but i don't know why they are not answering after 6 weeks...

Thanks your time

Regards

Do or do not, there is no try!!!

#4 AussieDude

AussieDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:32 AM

Hello 'Be Polite or Leave" I am new on this forum.. Could you please tell me how long it takes to get sponsor family visit visa for 12 month. I applied on 2 Dec 2015 received acknowledgment letter by email on next day, uploaded all documents on 18 Dec 2015, biometric and health clearance finalised on 29 Dec 2015- since then no updates- no case manager and usually it takes 6 weeks to get the visitor visa and my father age is 71 so no doubts they should have for his permanent stay but i don't know why they are not answering after 6 weeks...

Thanks your time

Regards

What country is your father applying from, what nationality is he?

#5 Gocha

Gocha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:48 AM

Hi new to this thread. Just wondering anyone here try to apply for a partner visa with dependent child age 26 yrs old above and been granted for the visa? Are there any age limit for the dependent child? Well, my son is financially dependent on us, no work and not married or in a defacto rel. thanks

#6 AussieDude

AussieDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

Hi new to this thread. Just wondering anyone here try to apply for a partner visa with dependent child age 26 yrs old above and been granted for the visa? Are there any age limit for the dependent child? Well, my son is financially dependent on us, no work and not married or in a defacto rel. thanks

So a child under Australian Law is under 18 years.  In some cases, a dependant maybe up to 21, different rules apply of they are handicapped or have special needs.

26 is not a child.  They are an independent adult.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users