15 replies to this topic

#1 Dan70

Dan70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:15 PM

I received some information from a migration agent below. My question is - do I need a minimum off four people to sign a Form 888? It reads two from Australia and two from overseas. When i applied alone online for a PMV in Aug 2015, I only gave two Form 888's from Australian relatives who met us while on vacation where my fiancee lives in the Philippines. Is this enough? as obviously this is a crucial part of the application.

• You have to write the story of your relationship (guidelines on the relationship information) (good example attached) – You can write it on an A4 paper or Notary Public Declarations/Affidavits
  • Form 80 for her to complete  
  • Form 956 – each of you need to sign it. (one Form each)
  • Family details – both families details
  • Form 888 for your family and  friends to complete. (good example attached) –  I need at least 2 from family or friends from Australia
  • Character Booklet – how to obtain Police Clearance from the countries where Maria lived for more than 12 months in the last 10 years
  • Below the guidelines for your family and friends overseas to write their declarations:  (they can write on a plain A4 paper, sign and date it and attach an ID document with a photograph or they can do Notary Public Declarations/Affidavits – if the document is not in English it must be translated) – I need at least 2 declarations from overseas.
    • How long they know about  the relationship for
    • Details they know about how you met each other
    • How often they talk/meet with you
    • What they know about you and your family
    • What their feelings are about your relationship and how they see it in the future
    • Any other information they would like to add

Yet the gov website says just two copies are required. 

• Two copies of Form 888Statutory declaration by a supporting witness in relation to a Partner or a Prospective Marriage visa application (84 kB PDF) (to be completed by two Australian citizens or permanent residents who have personal knowledge of your partner relationship).
  •  

http://www.border.go...ument-checklist

#2 firemansam

firemansam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

We put in 6 888 forms all from Australian friends and relatives none of whom had met my fiancee face to face. Always better to put more evidence than less.

#3 AussieDude

AussieDude

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:30 PM

Firemansam is (again) correct ;-)

The more the better,  but PLEASE make sure whoever signs the 888 provides proof of their existence and a contact number.  DIBP do ring and check.

Make sure that if someone swears they met you both in Phuket in May 2013, that the guarantors passport (actually online database at DIBP) has immigration status that they visited Thailand in May 2013.  

One of the most convincing 888 I reviewed was a couple that had their interior decorator sign.  proved they were a couple planning joint expenditure. Family is OK, but always questioned.  Externals, independants, and impartial wittinesses are better, I remember seeing one from the manager of a restaurant who stated they dind together many times.  Gold.

#4 Dan70

Dan70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:59 AM

Ok thanks. I'll try the hotel staff in Cebu and my Aussie friends here that know of my relationship have offered to sign a form. At present we only have two from her family members in Melbourne that we met while on holiday.

#5 AussieDude

AussieDude

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

If they sign the form, they must be able to prove that they had the opportunity to make the statement.

I had one case recently, DIBP rang the witness and asked how long you know the g/f, he said 12 months, when did you meet her asks DIBP, never he states, my mate told me about her and he'd never lie.  His 888 was rejected as it was based on hearsay, and not first hand experience.

#6 Dan70

Dan70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

Ok well I'll stick with the two off my partners Aussie relatives. 

#7 ktomlinson

ktomlinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:25 PM

I have a question concerning the stat decs for our relationship too... Should I fill in the commonwealth of Australia Stat Dec that you can download or write my own? The only thing is the stat dec download doesn't leave space for the History of our Relationship...
  • ktomlinson likes this

#8 Dan70

Dan70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

It does say on the sheet ' if insufficient space, please attach additional details. 

#9 ktomlinson

ktomlinson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

Is that what you did, just attach the history of relationship at the end? I was just going to add in another numbered paragraph at the start...

#10 hakseng

hakseng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

I was wondering whether it was possible to get a 888 statement from a person who does not speak english (non-aus citizen) & include a certified translated version? If they contact that person, would they be able to arrange a ie: Chinese speaker to speak with them? 

#11 La_gazelle

La_gazelle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

If DIBP call your friend I think he could tell them he needs an interpreter to speak to them. Maybe he should write that on the form too (under the 'any other information' part).  However just so you know form 888 should be completed by Australian citizens or permanent residents. 

#12 hakseng

hakseng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

If DIBP call your friend I think he could tell them he needs an interpreter to speak to them. Maybe he should write that on the form too (under the 'any other information' part).  However just so you know form 888 should be completed by Australian citizens or permanent residents. 

Thanks for your suggestion! Good idea to put on the form that the declarant requires an interpreter. 

I understand the requirements but we met overseas and don't have any friends who are Aus citizens or PR. I called the local embassy and they don't seem so strict. Their advice was to provide as many statements of support from contactable friends. 

#13 Aussie_83

Aussie_83

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

Keep in mind the people you spoke to aren't qualified to give advice and embassies have been known to give incorrect info.
It is a requirement to have 2 888 forms from a Australian pr or citizen.
If you have some that have met your partner over Skype or something then they will be okay. Might be worth a professional consult with a agent

#14 hakseng

hakseng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

Keep in mind the people you spoke to aren't qualified to give advice and embassies have been known to give incorrect info.
It is a requirement to have 2 888 forms from a Australian pr or citizen.
If you have some that have met your partner over Skype or something then they will be okay. Might be worth a professional consult with a agent

Thanks for your Skype suggestion. 

Here's what's on P31 of the Partner Migration Booklet

"If you are outside Australia and are unable to get an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident

to complete a statutory declaration in support of your relationship with your partner, you may obtain
statements from people who know you and your sponsor. Such statements are not statutory declarations
under Australian law. However, in accordance with policy, they should be witnessed or certified according
to the legal practices of the relevant country. Failing that, they should be witnessed by a person
whose occupation or qualification is comparable to a person included in the prescribed persons list on
pages 30–31. This person should sign, date and specify their occupation or qualification at the bottom of
the statement.
You should confirm the requirements with the nearest office outside Australia when you lodge your
application. Contact details are available from the department’s website
www.border.gov.au/about/contact/offices-locations"

I've contacted the local embassy visa hotline and they advised that statements of support from contactable and identifiable persons would suffice. 
I have 2 very strong statements of support from non-aus citizens who we have photos together with & have good reason to know for a fact (ie: visited us, called us to hear both our voices) we lived together for 12 months. I'm in the process of organising a few more after reading people submit a lot more than 2. 
Seems odd to me that DIBP would prefer stat decs from Aus citizens over Skype who have never met my partner rather than people who know for a fact our relationship is genuine. But look, if that's what they request, I'll get someone I know to Skype us & get them to put in a declaration. 

#15 jjdgodwin

jjdgodwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

Hi all,

Similar situation, I have friends that are Doctors, Barristers Teachers etc, but none are Aus citizens. Will these be OK witnesses or do they need to be Aus citizens? Bit confused by the information on the booklet, and cannot get through to the Embassy in London. 

Cheers

#16 bojogcenik

bojogcenik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

Can the stat dec 888 be filled out on the computer since it is a PDF, then printed and signed by the relative people or does it have to be manual hand written?

The form sates to use black pen and write neatly in english using block letters. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: partner, form888, pmv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users