- - - - -

Step Children - Dependent Child Visa And Interim Study Visa?

5 replies to this topic

#1 DAOR

DAOR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:51 AM

Hi all,

Urgently seeking some advice regarding my step children and best course of action regarding visas.

My wife will have her Partner visa approved in the next 2 months. It seems we were given bad advice by the staff at the migration office who suggested waiting until the Temporary Partner visa was approved before applying for the Dependent Childrens Visa. Now that we are researching childrens visas it seems there is another year or so waiting time - basically an impossible situation.

Is there any option to fast-track childrens visas in this instance?

If I apply for study visa's in the interim, will a study visa prevent us from lodging a child visa or vice versa?

#2 Aussie_83

Aussie_83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:16 PM

Basically no way to fast track any visa, rule of thumb.
How old are they?
If they are old enough for a student visa I wouldn't think they would class as a dependant.

#3 DAOR

DAOR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:44 PM

9 and 16. I can leave the 9 yo with relations until the child visa is processed but needing to keep an eye on the 16yo as he's been skipping school and can't be left unsupervised. Looking at a study visa until the child visa kicks in but concerned with visa clashes regarding genuine temporary entrant and no further stay etc. 

#4 AussieDude

AussieDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:27 AM

Generally everyone is correct, you cant fast track a visa.

However, internally DIBP give high priority to Dependent Child Visa's when both parents are onshore.

A letter covering the facts about the kids are going feral without mum and dad cant hurt.

#5 Gocha

Gocha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:30 AM

Hi new to this thread. Just wondering if anyone here try to apply for a partner visa with dependent child age 26 yrs old above and been granted for the visa? Are there any age limit for the dependent child? Well, my son is financially dependent on us, no work and not married or in a defacto rel. thanks

#6 AussieDude

AussieDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:35 PM

Hi new to this thread. Just wondering if anyone here try to apply for a partner visa with dependent child age 26 yrs old above and been granted for the visa? Are there any age limit for the dependent child? Well, my son is financially dependent on us, no work and not married or in a defacto rel. thanks

Unless your child has special needs or a medical disability, at 26 they are not a child under Australian Law, but an independant Adult.

Mind you, there are plenty of 26 yo children in Australia . ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users