Jump to content

* * * * * 1 votes

Visa Advice

visa advice

3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve92



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:17 PM


Looking for some advice regarding visas for Australia.

I am a time served automotive mechanic but for the past 4.5 years have been employed in the Offshore oil and gas industry as a mechanical tech but unfortunately will soon be made redundant but feel now would be a good time to make a fresh start . Looking through the skilled independent visa (189) criteria it doesn't seem to show anything for mechanical technicians. Would it be possible to gain a visa simply on my trade qualification (automotive mechanic) then find a job as a mechanical tech in the mining industry for example?

I'm aware the 417 could get me in short term but only allows 6 months with one employer.

Sorry if I should have done a bit more research.


#2 bojogcenik


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

It think you should give it a go. What country are you from? Are you aware of the Seek website? Look on there for jobs in Australia in the mining industry. Many jobs for mechanics of some sort either in mining or city. Most employers do require however that you have australian residency or work rights.

#3 Paul O

Paul O

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:26 AM

417 no longer has the 6 months work restriction with one employer.

#4 bojogcenik


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:32 PM

I'm trying to get into the oil and gas. Who did you work for? It's a shame you are being made redundant after 4.5 years working there. Great salary I bet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: visa, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users