- - - - -

Applied For Onshore Pv 820/801, Going To Travel 6 Months With Partner, Bvb?

10 replies to this topic

#1 LetLoveRule

LetLoveRule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAustralia (from The Netherlands)

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some help/experiences with (applying for) a Bridging Visa B.

My Australian partner and I (Dutch citizen) have applied for an onshore Partner Visa (de facto) just over 6 months ago and want to travel for 6/7 months, leaving in 6 months. As my Working Holiday Visa has expired, I'm currently on a Bridging Visa A. We've been together for 2 years and have registered our relationship in Queensland (where we currently reside). We have a pretty generic life atm: renting a house together and both working full-time to save for our upcoming trip. Our relationship has been pretty straight forward, everything is documented etc.

We will travel to Canada, USA and Europe (including my home country, so my partner can meet my friends & family in person), maybe add Thailand/Malaysia if we can to the end. We plan to settle down when we return to Australia next year.

We were advised, as others are too, to wait with health and character checks. As it's been 6 months and we want to be "assessment ready" asap, I will get this sorted before applying for a BVB in 3 months.

The best scenario would be if the 820 is granted before we leave (12 months after lodging, from low risk country), so we don't have to worry at all. Fingers crossed!

But we don't want to get our hopes up and expect to start our trip on a BVB. Depending on when we run out of money, we will return in 6 or 7 months. I've called Immigration, they've provided me with an email address to ask my questions. Before we do that, I'm hoping to get some help here.

What happens if the 820 is granted while we're out of the country?

What are the experiences with (not) getting a BVB? Are there rules to when it gets granted and for how long?

Apparently when the BVB is granted but will expire before we return (let's say it's only granted for 3 months), I need to apply for a different visa. Would this be a Tourist Visa? Which would mean I'm not allowed to work until the 820 is granted.

I don't know much about BVB. Hopefully someone here can help us. Thank you

#2 mariamercedes

mariamercedes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:41 PM

Hi LetLoveRule!

I have been on 3 BVBs since lodging PV 820 last Mar 2016. I had to fly in and out of Oz for an overseas work assignment.

In my case, BVBs were:

a. granted due to work - I suppose that falls under the guideline 'compelling reason to travel' ; and

b. # of days according to my intended travel dates.

The shortest BVB validity was under 50days the longest is more than 90days - all based on my intended travel dates. I had to back these up with documentary evidence. I normally submit my applications in person at least 2 weeks before my travel. So far no rejections and got the BVB within 1-5 working days via email. 

As much as possible do not allow BVB to expire while you are out of Oz. Maybe the best thing for you to do when you lodge your BVB application is attach all your travel itineraries/booking and specify exact dates, 6mos ,  of intended travel dates.

All the best with your visa, hoping you do not have to apply for BVB and have a fantastic time overseas!

Best,

maria

#3 KiaMia

KiaMia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

I'm planning to go home and apply for BVB next month. My question is, when I go back to Australia does it automatically return to BVA? I'm confused. Please help.

#4 mariamercedes

mariamercedes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

I'm planning to go home and apply for BVB next month. My question is, when I go back to Australia does it automatically return to BVA? I'm confused. Please help.

Hi KiaMia,

As per BVB visa grant and DIBP website, BVB will still in effect even if you are back in Oz until your substantive visa application is decided. 

There is an option to revert back to BVA (check DIBP website), but in my case I am just on BVB as I have study & work rights (just like BVA).

Is there any particular reason why you want BVA whilst in Oz?

#5 KiaMia

KiaMia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

Hi KiaMia,

As per BVB visa grant and DIBP website, BVB will still in effect even if you are back in Oz until your substantive visa application is decided.
There is an option to revert back to BVA (check DIBP website), but in my case I am just on BVB as I have study & work rights (just like BVA).

Is there any particular reason why you want BVA whilst in Oz?

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I applied for a spouse visa onshore. So i got a BVA automatically. I am planning to go home for a month to visit my family. I was just wondering how the bridging visa goes. So it means, I will stay on BVB until a decision has been made on my visa application?

#6 mariamercedes

mariamercedes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:18 AM

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I applied for a spouse visa onshore. So i got a BVA automatically. I am planning to go home for a month to visit my family. I was just wondering how the bridging visa goes. So it means, I will stay on BVB until a decision has been made on my visa application?

Yes that is correct. BVB replaces your BVA if your application is successful. The only difference between the 2 is that you have travel provisions with BVB (it is limited so be mindful of the dates) 

Enjoy your trip home

#7 LetLoveRule

LetLoveRule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:23 PM

Hi mariamercedes!

Thanks for sharing, sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I'm worried that the BVB won't be granted because it's just for travel (with partner and to visit my home country, but still) and not for something 'more important' like work. Do you (or anyone else) know or have you experienced this?

Really hope the BVB gets granted if we need to apply for it and if so, for 6 months or so. I'd rather not let it expire, that's good advice.

I thought that the BVB is temporary and it will go back to BVA after it expires as BVA doesn't expire until the 820 gets granted though?

Would be good to share experiences with others that have applied for 820/801. Here's a thread we can use: Source: http://www.australia...ate-820-thread/

#8 mariamercedes

mariamercedes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

Hi mariamercedes!

Thanks for sharing, sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I'm worried that the BVB won't be granted because it's just for travel (with partner and to visit my home country, but still) and not for something 'more important' like work. Do you (or anyone else) know or have you experienced this?

Really hope the BVB gets granted if we need to apply for it and if so, for 6 months or so. I'd rather not let it expire, that's good advice.

I thought that the BVB is temporary and it will go back to BVA after it expires as BVA doesn't expire until the 820 gets granted though?

Would be good to share experiences with others that have applied for 820/801. Here's a thread we can use: Source: http://www.australia...ate-820-thread/

Hi there!

Seeing family overseas is a sound and valid reason to apply for BVB. Just lodge your BVB application and see how you go

I responded to at least 2 BVB enquiries of 820 applicants who are bound to travel overseas for vacation/honeymoon. I never heard a word from them again...must be enjoying their trip 

BVB is indefinite until partner visa decision is given. There is an option to revert back to BVA (in DIBP website). But in my case, I never applied for BVA again as BVB also gave me work & study rights in Oz

All the best

#9 KiaMia

KiaMia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:05 AM

Hello. Haven't applied yet for my BVB yet. I was just wondering what's the maximum months you request to travel. I am planning to stay for a month in my home country but I'm cknsidering staying for 2 months. Is this posiible?
  • mariamercedes likes this

#10 mariamercedes

mariamercedes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:05 AM

Hi KiaMia!

Im sure it is possible. The guidelines do not state min/max days for your travel. The important thing is declare in your application actual travel plans...eg 2months

Longest BVB travel period for me is a littlw over 3months

Enjoy your trip home

Hello. Haven't applied yet for my BVB yet. I was just wondering what's the maximum months you request to travel. I am planning to stay for a month in my home country but I'm cknsidering staying for 2 months. Is this posiible?

#11 LetLoveRule

LetLoveRule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:38 PM

Hi there,

It's been a little while and our plans have changed. We have now decided to travel to Asia for 2 months and USA/Canada for 1 month, total of 12 weeks and leaving in 3 weeks. This means we aren't going to travel to my home country (due to costs and rather wanting to spend Christmas over there), which makes me a bit worried about a valid "substantial reason" for applying for a BVB. I have read quite a few topics about BVB's but most of them are about the applicant going back home, usually without the partner.

Does anyone have experience with something similar?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users