- - - - -

Can You Lodge Earlier Than Your "12 Months Defacto" Even By A Few Days?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Sineady

Sineady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorthern Territory

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

Can someone please help me out?? I will be living with my fiance a since the 6th January but I didnt get approved as a tenant until the 8th of Feb last year... ONE day before my visa ends! What do people advise doing I am so stressed!! I am worried that the site crashes on the day or something goes wrong!!

#2 Uhtred

Uhtred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

I think they're pretty strict on their being at least 12 months minimum. It's then also your job to prove you've been together this long - if you're cutting it fine by a few days then it's a potential risk.

Could you not leave Oz for a few days then come back in on a tourist visa and apply onshore?

#3 aussieguy

aussieguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

Register your relationship if it's available in your state, and it cancels the 12 month living together. You still need to prove you've had a defacto relationship for 12 months though.

#4 Sineady

Sineady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNorthern Territory

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

Im in darwin so we cant register. Thanks thats good to know. If I was to leave how long do you wait for a tourist visa to be approved?

#5 aussieguy

aussieguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

Im in darwin so we cant register. Thanks thats good to know. If I was to leave how long do you wait for a tourist visa to be approved?

Our last tourist visa was 3 days - check the embassies website and it'll say current processing times.

Beware your tourist visa may be approved with a 'no further stay' condition, meaning you can't apply onshore. However applying for the visitor visa while already here will put you onto a bridging visa until a decision is made. You may have no decision made giving you enough time to apply for the partner visa - although I'm not 100% sure about applying for visas while on a bridging visa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users