Sineady

Can You Lodge Earlier Than Your "12 Months Defacto" Even By A Few Days?

Can someone please help me out?? I will be living with my fiance a since the 6th January but I didnt get approved as a tenant until the 8th of Feb last year... ONE day before my visa ends! What do people advise doing I am so stressed!! I am worried that the site crashes on the day or something goes wrong!!

I think they're pretty strict on their being at least 12 months minimum. It's then also your job to prove you've been together this long - if you're cutting it fine by a few days then it's a potential risk.

Could you not leave Oz for a few days then come back in on a tourist visa and apply onshore?

Im in darwin so we cant register. Thanks thats good to know. If I was to leave how long do you wait for a tourist visa to be approved?

Our last tourist visa was 3 days - check the embassies website and it'll say current processing times.

Beware your tourist visa may be approved with a 'no further stay' condition, meaning you can't apply onshore. However applying for the visitor visa while already here will put you onto a bridging visa until a decision is made. You may have no decision made giving you enough time to apply for the partner visa - although I'm not 100% sure about applying for visas while on a bridging visa.

The rule is very much enforced at 365 days.  I have seen many rejections for the sake of 2-3 weeks short.  But never under 5 days.

There is no internal DIBP grace period, but I feel 3 days short will be acceptable.  Just make sure the previous 12 months is gap free, solid and substantiated.