4 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisGrigg

ChrisGrigg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

Hi all,

I'm on a PR. I am wanting to leave Australia for 5 months this year and am wondering if it will affect me getting citizenship when the time comes? Here is my timeline:

- Feb 2015 - First got to Australia on a tourist visa
- May 2015 - Got a PR visa
- Late May 2017 to Oct 2017 - out of Australia
- Feb 2019 - Can I apply for citizenship now?

I hear you can be out of the country for up to 12 months in the 4 years it takes to get citizenship is this correct?

Also Can I apply for citizenship in Feb 2019 or because I'm out of the country for 5 months will I not be able to apply for citizenship till 5 months later i.e. June 2019?

Thanks!

#2 OzRob

OzRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

Your time on the tourist visa does not count. My understanding is that you can apply in May 2019. You can use this calculator to check.

#3 Aussie_83

Aussie_83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

Actually OzRob the time on the tourist visa does count as its still a substantial visa. Happy to be corrected but from my research and trolling of forums that's what I've found.

#4 OzRob

OzRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:10 AM

Actually OzRob the time on the tourist visa does count as its still a substantial visa. Happy to be corrected but from my research and trolling of forums that's what I've found.

I don't know but my interpretation of the details on the residence calculator I linked to suggests otherwise. It states that 'if you were granted a permanent residence visa onshore your permanent residence date is the date that visa was issued.' Under Important Dates it only seems to be asking about the date you became a resident. I don't think that being in Australia on a tourist can be classed as 'living in Australia'. I am happy to be corrected though.

#5 Aussie_83

Aussie_83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

Ahh I get where you are coming from. that is due to the last year needing to be pr, not the whole 4 years.
If we go by that line then living in Australia on the 309/820 or a bridging visa wouldn't count as well as they are only temporary residents.
If I was on the PC I would copy and paste the bit I'm referring to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users