Jump to content

- - - - -

Apllying For Defacto Visa , On Evistor?

1 reply to this topic

#1 omgitsme87



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

Hi, i have currently been living in Australia on a 1 years Working Visa and during that time i have been living with my girlfriend. my visa expires in March so currently we have been living together for 10 months  so not meeting the 12 month requirement. so we have decided to register our relationship to help with proceedings.  my question is,  once my working visa expires (we would then meet the 12 month requirement)   and i go back to england, can i return on a standard 3 month holiday visa and lodge a application for defacto visa and be granted a bridging visa?  due to finances it would likely be 6 months before i return

#2 AussieDude



  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

Yes, assuming the next visa you are granted does NOT have a Condition 8503 NO FURTHER STAY, applied.  My gut feeling is that you may get hit with a 8503, as, just having been in Australia for 12 months, and you have a G/F here, DIBP may consider you high risk to overstay.  I know it is a silly policy.  Equally, furthering a relationship on a VV is frowned upon, you should be doing that on a PMV.


DIBP look at situations like your closely, as they would rather you apply off shore (cheaper for Australia). Its a common loophole people try to exploit.


So..  Leave the return period as long as you can, and only apply for a 3 month VV, demonstrate solid reasons to return (job etc). and PRAY hard for no 8503.  During the period offshore, make sure there is solid evidence being recorded daily about your continuing relationship.  Emails are gold.  Skype logs are harder to provide in a meaningful fashion.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users