Qldguy75

Partner Or Prospective Visa Help!

Hi! I would like some help with a few questions i have.

My fiance has been out here on a visitor visa for the past 7 months, and she will be returning home to the Philippines at the end of April and will of been here for almost 9 months by then.

We are looking at what options we have for a more permanent future together here in Australia, the 2 choices we have is for her to apply for an offshore prospective marriage visa once she returns to the Philippines, then wait it out until the application is processed in which i have read can take up to 12 months before she could return to Australia if it's approved.

Or we have considered her returning someday on another visitor visa, then marrying while she is here then applying for an onshore partner visa, allowing her to stay on in Australia once a bridging visa is granted while they process the partner visa.

I realize the 2nd option is more risky, but again it would allow her to remain here while the visa is being processed which would suit us better.
I would to know what you guys think is the best option, plus some advice on the risks involved with it all and some general information to help us.

I would also like to know more about the process for her when putting in an offshore prospective marriage visa, i have read that we can either do it online through immiaccount, or could my fiance take the application directly into the Australian embassy in Manila?
Which is the best way of doing this, also would her taking it personally into the embassy in manila make the processing times faster compared to applying online through immiaccount?

It will be much appreciated if we can get some guidance through this as it can be a bit confusing at times trying to work it all out on our own!

Thanks.

Hi! I would like some help with a few questions i have.

My fiance has been out here on a visitor visa for the past 7months, and she will be returning home to the philippines at the end of april and will of been here for almost 9months by then.

We are looking at what options we have for a more permanent future together here in australia, the 2 choices we have is for her to apply for an offshore prospective marriage visa once she returns to the philippines, then wait it out until the application is processed in which i have read can take up to 12months before she could return to australia if it's approved.

Or we have considered her returning someday on another visitor visa, then marrying while she is here then applying for an onshore partner visa, allowing her to stay on in australia once a bridging visa is granted while they process the partner visa.

I realize the 2nd option is more risky, but again it would allow her to remain here while the visa is being processed which would suit us better.

I would to know what you guys think is the best option, plus some advice on the risks involved with it all and some general information to help us.

I would also like to know more about the process for her when putting in an offshore prospective marriage visa, i have read that we can either do it online through immiaccount, or could my fiance take the application directly into the australian embassy in manila?

Which is the best way of doing this, also would her taking it personally into the embassy in manila make the processing times faster compared to applying online through immiaccount?

It will be much appreciated if we can get some guidance through this as it can be a bit confusing at times trying to work it all out on our own!

Thanks.

Hi Qldguy75!

Kumusta? Would like to share my experience. I am a Filo, an 820 PV holder. I applied onshore whilst on a Visitors Visa (VV).  I will try to outline pros and cons of your 2 choices based on my experience:

1st Choice - PMV (application can be lodged online via IMMI or paper via VFS Manila or Cebu NOT AU embassy)

Pros

• Ease of collecting Philippine documents (e.g. NSO certificates, CFO seminar & passport label, NBI clearance etc)
  • Grant may be sooner vs PV grant (average for PMV grant in Manila is 10months) 
  • Can apply for VV while waiting for PMV decision

Cons

• Long distance relationship
  • If considering to enter AU on a VV while waiting for PMV decision, flight costs might add up since decision will be made when fiancee is offshore

2nd Choice - VV then 820 PV 

Pros

• Together in Oz
  • Fiancee will be on Bridging Visa with work & study privileges as soon as VV expires

Cons

• VV without 8503 condition is a pre-requisite 
  • Collecting Philippine documents might be a hassle. If already available, can't be hand carried to AU on a VV (fiancee will most likely be questioned at the border)

1 vs 2?

In my opinion 1st choice is better. It will give you both peace of mind,  more preparation time for the big move to AU, no extensive questioning at the AU border, etc. I suppose you can try securing the VV without the No Further Stay condition first and see if 2nd choice is an option. 

PM me if you need anything.

All the best! 

Maria of Adelaide 

Thanks a lot for your help Maria, much appreciated.

I will give things some more thought then try and make a plan, i may need to ask some more questions here at a later stage, but for now just need to think it all over some more.

If you can get the VV with 8503 you would not need to get married just to apply onshore, you could apply for a Partner visa under defacto criteria on the last day of the VV which would have given you 12 months living together, it's what I did when Bangkok were dragging their feet with the offshore application, we lodged on the last day and got a bridging visa, they weren't happy about it, but they had to provide it as we met the criteria, it did mean another application fee, but that was less than the flights and stuffing around.

Your IMMI account application will be processed thru the Manila embassy anyway. So why go an queue up there?. Do it all online from the comfort of your home. You'll have enough hassles with the medical, birth cert and NBI. 

Also by using the online IMMI account, you can both add docs to it as you go along from your home countries. No need to have every single doc available to upload at the start, as you'll wait 5-6 months in a queue before they check it over and request anything missing.

Manila is currently averaging 10.5 months to process a PMV 300 so that's pretty good compared to other countries.