Cambo Davo

Prospective Marriage Visa Checklist?

Hey everyone, 

I have looked around but I cant seem to find a guide or checklist for applying for a prospective marriage visa. I have applied for tourist visas before and there some general guides of what to include but I cant seem to find much for prospective marriage visa. Can anyone give me some general tips of what to include or how to support my application so that it is less likely to get held up?

Just looking for where to get some reliable information!

I Googled: prospective marriage visa checklist

1st result (3rd result if including advertisements) is for Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300) - Dibp

3rd paragraph shows Note: 'The documents you need to provide can be found under "Follow these steps" '

The Follow these steps tab gives a decent list of stuff to read up on.

Once you've reviewed that list, I'm sure you'll have more questions, which we'll be happy to help you with.

Oct 2014: PMV submitted in UK via migration agent | Sept 2015: PMV granted | Dec 2015: Arrived in Australia | March 2016: Got married | May 2016: Onshore Partner Visa 820/801 submitted via ImmiAccount | June 2016: 820 visa granted

Hey there,

Sorry I should have been more specific, with all this information and pile of documents I am collecting together I didnt write my question very clear. I have the 47SP and 40SP forms and I am in the process of collecting the required documents. My experience with the tourist visa was there is required documents, but providing "adequate supporting" documents was not clearly defined. 

When I looked this up is when I found a lot of inconsistent information on what is worth including in our application. The main information I am looking for is what is required to prove a genuine relationship, proving intent to marry and to live in a genuine spouse relationship. Currently I am working on the following; 

- letter from myself and my fiance detailing our relationship

- stat decs from both my parents and three friends stating they have knowledge of a genuine relationship 

- letters from both my parents and three friends detailing their knowledge of our genuine relationship over the past 2.5 years and our intent to marry (discussing invitations with them and locations for the wedding)

- a letter from my self detailing our plans once my fiance arrives on a proposed marriage visa and our plans to love together post marriage 

- a letter from the person we hope will complete our wedding ceremony stating we have engage him to assist in the marriage process

Aside from this information and the required documentation, what can I include that will support our application? I can get more stat decs and written letters from people knowledge about our relationships, letters from people in her country, Cambodia, that know about our relationship (i.e. her family and friends). Is there much more that I need or this enough? I just dont want to get knocked back or delayed because I didn't go into enough detail in certain areas or missed something. 

Thanks for your help thus far!

Edit: Also, one follow up question. Does anyone know about certifying documents in Cambodia or similar countries? Is it best just to go to the embassy to have documents certified or is there another/better way?

When looking for guidance on your specific situation, best option is to employ the services of registered migration agent. When you submit, you will have peace of mind that your application crossed all the Ts and dotted all the Is. They are quite costly - at least there's a price for peace of mind.

A Case Officer is looking evidence that your relationship is genuine. This generally takes the form of:

- Photos of the applicant and the sponsor (just both of you)

- Photos of the applicant and the sponsor with friends/family

- Photos from an engagement party or from the day of the proposal

- Proof of holidays you went on together (etickets for both of you)

- Tickets/receipts from events that you went to together (cinema, concerts, receipts for dinner, name cards from someone's wedding reception)

- Etickets when the applicant visited the sponsor in Australia

- Etickets when the sponsor visited the applicant in their residing country

- Statements from any accounts which is in both of your names (perhaps a joint bank account was opened when the applicant visited the sponsor?)

- Bills for each of you showing that you lived at the same address (one bill with both names on it is very useful)

- Correspondance during periods of separation (WhatsApp log, Viber log, Skype log, Phone calls, etc)

Some of the above may not apply to your situation. I assume you are the Sponsor?

Statutory declarations support evidence of a genuine relationship. I submitted 2 as part of my PMV. Statements from non Australian/New Zealand PR/Citizens don't hold much weight.

Additionally, my sponsor did the following:

- obtained a 'Notice of Intended Marriage' from the celebrant

- obtained a signed letter from the celebrant

- obtained a signed letter from the priest

I haven't included the standard stuff (passport, birth certificate, police checks, etc), but the above lists should give you a general idea of what you need to achieve.

Oct 2014: PMV submitted in UK via migration agent | Sept 2015: PMV granted | Dec 2015: Arrived in Australia | March 2016: Got married | May 2016: Onshore Partner Visa 820/801 submitted via ImmiAccount | June 2016: 820 visa granted

When looking for guidance on your specific situation, best option is to employ the services of registered migration agent. When you submit, you will have peace of mind that your application crossed all the Ts and dotted all the Is. They are quite costly - at least there's a price for peace of mind.

A Case Officer is looking evidence that your relationship is genuine. This generally takes the form of:
- Photos of the applicant and the sponsor (just both of you)
- Photos of the applicant and the sponsor with friends/family
- Photos from an engagement party or from the day of the proposal
- Proof of holidays you went on together (etickets for both of you)
- Tickets/receipts from events that you went to together (cinema, concerts, receipts for dinner, name cards from someone's wedding reception)
- Etickets when the applicant visited the sponsor in Australia
- Etickets when the sponsor visited the applicant in their residing country
- Statements from any accounts which is in both of your names (perhaps a joint bank account was opened when the applicant visited the sponsor?)
- Bills for each of you showing that you lived at the same address (one bill with both names on it is very useful)
- Correspondance during periods of separation (WhatsApp log, Viber log, Skype log, Phone calls, etc)

Some of the above may not apply to your situation. I assume you are the Sponsor?

Statutory declarations support evidence of a genuine relationship. I submitted 2 as part of my PMV. Statements from non Australian/New Zealand PR/Citizens don't hold much weight.

Additionally, my sponsor did the following:
- obtained a 'Notice of Intended Marriage' from the celebrant
- obtained a signed letter from the celebrant
- obtained a signed letter from the priest

I haven't included the standard stuff (passport, birth certificate, police checks, etc), but the above lists should give you a general idea of what you need to achieve.

Hi, I would also add any letters from family and friends to confirm the relationship. Attending functions together. BUT

the more important information is how you maintained the relationship for the period you have been in Australia.

As per the list above.

All Chats and emails are important.

Sending of funds or a joint account. you will not have a joint Australian account unless the partner has been to Australia so the joint account is not so important but evidence of sending funds is

There are so many ways to clearly prove a relationship and this depends on the circumstances of the couple

Time together

- photos

- Living at the same address

- Hotel accommodation in both names

- Travel at the same time (tickets)

- Letters from relatives and friends confirming the relationship 

- form 888 from Australians (More is good) 2 only is required for valid application but the evidence from Family and friends consolidates the application

Time apart

- All Chats and emails and texts

- evidence of phone calls or Viber, watsapp, skype etc

- sending funds for support

- paying bills if any 

Wedding arrangements

- confirmation letter from celebrant of Priest etc with date of wedding

- booking confirmation for the facility or location

It is good to read the partner booklet but it does not cover all situations and remember if one piece of evidence is not there other can replace it

If the application is simple then no problem but if it is seeming a little hard then seek professional advice

Refusals can be devastating

Hi, all!

It's my first post in this forum. I'm Indonesian, applied PMV online via immi account since last April.

While we're on this topic, I have some questions, too.

Does each and every document submitted have to be certified? So far, the only certified document I have submitted is my translated birth certificate. It's certified by a female sworn translation herself.

I wonder if our history of relationship has to be certified also since it's simply formatted as a narrative letter. Perhaps a certified statutory of declaration from my sponsor (fiancée) would suffice? In Indonesia, certification usually can only be done by notary and police, not as many profession as in Australia can.

What about all our chat history on WhatsApp, or love letters? Do we have to certify those, too? Can't imagine how many paper it would take to print or copy then certify it all.

If not all documents have to be certified, how can we tell which one is a must?

That would be all for now. I'd appreciate any kind of response and answer.

Thanks.

Hi, all!

It's my first post in this forum. I'm Indonesian, applied PMV online via immi account since last April.

Does each and every document submitted have to be certified? So far, the only certified document I have submitted is my translated birth certificate. It's certified by a female sworn translation herself.

I wonder if our history of relationship has to be certified also since it's simply formatted as a narrative letter. Perhaps a certified statutory of declaration from my sponsor (fiancée) would suffice? In Indonesia, certification usually can only be done by notary and police, not as many profession as in Australia can.

What about all our chat history on WhatsApp, or love letters? Do we have to certify those, too? Can't imagine how many paper it would take to print or copy then certify it all.

Thanks.

If the application is being done online you only need scanned copies of the original documents

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew weither once the application was submitted online via Immi are you able to add more documentation to the file or is it locked once submitted? I was considering what would be best, to submit tonight prior to the 1st of July or waiting until we receive a few documents we are awaiting on. If we submit, are we able to then add these other documents in the next week or two when they arrive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your reply, so it should be fine for me to submit tonight then upload the rest of the documents in the few weeks following once they arrive? Just dont want to end up with any issues later down the track. 

Whether or not you submit tonight, I will have to leave it up to you - I can only comment on my experience...

After submitting, it took me about 2 weeks to finish uploading all my documents.
I had prepared all evidence beforehand, but it took me a while to plan what sections to put them into as there is very little (official) documentation on how to organise evidence for an upload.

Thanks for the advice dude, I guess my main concern was on the uploading of documents. I will see how I go.

I appreciate the timely responses from everyone considering the timing of my question!

Hey Cambo! I applied June 13th and it took me 2 weeks to upload all of the documents.

Quick side note that I noticed wasn't mentioned that might be useful to you. Mine is a 309 partner visa, not a PMV just for your information, not sure if the upload screens look different.

When you first apply your application status should be "Information Requested" what we did is once we uploaded all our evidence (took us 2 weeks uploaded everything including doing biometrics but we are waiting for them to request Police checks and Medical) there's a button that you can press that says "Information Provided" once we pressed that our application updated to the status "Assessment in Progress." 

I'm not sure if the visa process gets delayed if you don't press that button but my guess is that they get notified that they can open up your application and it's all good to go....so press that once you've double checked and uploaded everything you have. Hope this helps!

Hi guys, 

My partner and I are on the way to do our paperwork for PMV as well. It's really helpful to look through the information here. I have a few questions. Do we really need a celebrant to organize the wedding? How much do you think we would pay? Also, we actually got married here in Viet Nam but unofficial legal. We do not register our marriage with Viet Nam gov as it's complicated and we don't wanna deal with more paperwork. Do we have to write that we got married in Vietnam in our Stat Dec or we just skip it and mention we will officially get married in Australia after I am granted PMV? Can we register a joint account if I travel to Australia under Visitor visa subclass 600? 

the reason people talk about a celebrant is they get them to do the noim form which is a legal requirement when getting married in Australia.

what you are talking if doing wrong work as you must become legally married.

(also unofficially legal is not a thing).

I think you have confused yourself and should have a consult with an agent, or have a slow careful read it the partner booklet.

the purpose of a PMV is so that you can enter Australia and get married and work and then apply for the partner visa. so no need to get married before traveling to Australia.

just to check you are referring to Vida 300 PMV?

or are you referring to 309

the reason people talk about a celebrant is they get them to do the noim form which is a legal requirement when getting married in Australia.

what you are talking if doing wrong work as you must become legally married.

(also unofficially legal is not a thing).

I think you have confused yourself and should have a consult with an agent, or have a slow careful read it the partner booklet.

the purpose of a PMV is so that you can enter Australia and get married and work and then apply for the partner visa. so no need to get married before traveling to Australia.

just to check you are referring to Vida 300 PMV?

or are you referring to 309

Hi Aussie_83,

Thank you for your advice. I understand the different between PMV 300 and Partner Visa 820 . I just wonder if it is a must to have a celebrant for the NOIM as someone told me that we could just register our NOIM with the authorized office. Our intention is doing the PMV 300 and then when i am granted the visa I will get married in Australia and convert into Partner visa 820. Thats why I posted the question in another topic asking how much we will have to pay. We had a wedding celeration here in VN as it was the request from our familiess since we both dated each other and told the families that we wanted to settle down. In the Stat Dec for PMV 300, my partner wrote about the wedding recpetion that we had but I am not sure that should we include in our Stat Dec. i explained to him that PMV 300 purpose is let me go to Australia and get married so it is unnecessary to mention about the wedding cermony.

aaaahhhh right I follow now.

no need to go through a celebrant, we just had a registry wedding and you just do the NOIM there the month before. sorry from your first post just thought you meant a unofficial wedding as being the base for the wedding after the pmv was granted.

we did similar.... just haven't been able to have the Thai wedding yet.

aaaahhhh right I follow now.

no need to go through a celebrant, we just had a registry wedding and you just do the NOIM there the month before. sorry from your first post just thought you meant a unofficial wedding as being the base for the wedding after the pmv was granted.

we did similar.... just haven't been able to have the Thai wedding yet.

Hi Aussie_83, 

Thank you for your reply. Where did you have your registry wedding and submit your NOIM? We will base in Melbourne. Do you use agent to help with your application? If yes would you please recommend us the agent? I am thinking of doing the paperwork by myself but still look for information. Thank you. 

Hi, I would also add any letters from family and friends to confirm the relationship. Attending functions together. BUT

the more important information is how you maintained the relationship for the period you have been in Australia.

As per the list above.

All Chats and emails are important.

Sending of funds or a joint account. you will not have a joint Australian account unless the partner has been to Australia so the joint account is not so important but evidence of sending funds is

There are so many ways to clearly prove a relationship and this depends on the circumstances of the couple

Time together

- photos

- Living at the same address

- Hotel accommodation in both names

- Travel at the same time (tickets)

- Letters from relatives and friends confirming the relationship 

- form 888 from Australians (More is good) 2 only is required for valid application but the evidence from Family and friends consolidates the application

Time apart

- All Chats and emails and texts

- evidence of phone calls or Viber, watsapp, skype etc

- sending funds for support

- paying bills if any 

Wedding arrangements

- confirmation letter from celebrant of Priest etc with date of wedding

- booking confirmation for the facility or location

It is good to read the partner booklet but it does not cover all situations and remember if one piece of evidence is not there other can replace it

If the application is simple then no problem but if it is seeming a little hard then seek professional advice

Refusals can be devastating

Hi, 

I am looking at the joint account now. Will it possible to open a joint account even we live in different places now? My friend recommends my partner sending some money or gift to me but we haven't done much sending gift and money. As we both are very independent and feel sensitive of doing this. I am a bit worried as they will look into those stuff to prove our relationship. 

Hi Aussie_83,

Thank you for your advice. I understand the different between PMV 300 and Partner Visa 820 . I just wonder if it is a must to have a celebrant for the NOIM as someone told me that we could just register our NOIM with the authorized office. Our intention is doing the PMV 300 and then when i am granted the visa I will get married in Australia and convert into Partner visa 820. Thats why I posted the question in another topic asking how much we will have to pay. We had a wedding celeration here in VN as it was the request from our familiess since we both dated each other and told the families that we wanted to settle down. In the Stat Dec for PMV 300, my partner wrote about the wedding recpetion that we had but I am not sure that should we include in our Stat Dec. i explained to him that PMV 300 purpose is let me go to Australia and get married so it is unnecessary to mention about the wedding cermony.

Hi Queenie: the purpose of a PMV visa is to allow you to come to Australia to marry your partner. You cannot be married outside Australia or the visa will be refused. Your partner's Stat dec needs to state the relationship and intention to marry in Australia however this is only needed in a letter of relationship

Any form 888 should not mention anything about the ceremony in VN.

1. you apply PMV

Evidence is needed to show the relationship and you have met in person and your intention to marry

I would suspect you have photos on facebook - if you do you should remove them if they show the wedding

2. You are granted

3. you come to Australia and marry

4.you apply for SC 820 / 801 Partner visa in Australia

interesting Paul O. looks like they need to update a number of things, way back when I was doing my research 2014/15 and now they still have plastered everywhere specifically after the grant you can marry in Australia or any other country. with the usual must be one our government recognises.

interesting Paul O. looks like they need to update a number of things, way back when I was doing my research 2014/15 and now they still have plastered everywhere specifically after the grant you can marry in Australia or any other country. with the usual must be one our government recognises.

The regulations are complicated: PMV allows the applicant to enter Australia and marry. This must be done within 9 months of the grant )not the entry) and the Partner visa should be applied for within that 9 month period. 

The holder of the visa must not marry or enter into a de facto relationship before entering Australia.

This means they have to marry in Australia

Hi, all!

Thanks.

Hi, Everyone!

Just wanted to update and below is my detail:

PMV 300: April 2017

Tourist Visa: May 2017

Med Check Up: June 2017 (required to process Tourist Visa)

Wedding date: Sep 2017 (BDM Registry)

Last week, I enquired DIBP via online form about assigned Case Officer and someone responded with several documents that we were lacking of. And yesterday, I updated them that all was just uploaded to my Immi account, but one, my fiance's Australian Federal Police certificate, which we are quite optimistic it would be issued eventually. On that same email, I asked if I could still go to Melbourne, get married as scheduled at Old Treasury Building, Spring Street, and start to live together, optimizing my Tourist Visa (exit & reenter Australia every 3 months) until my PMV granted.

They replied that I could withdraw my 300 and convert it to Partner Visa 309 after our wedding.

Given this option, my concerns came down to these 2 points:

1. If I did withdraw and convert my 300, would I still be able to stay with my wife to be (and to work, too, hopefully) after our wedding?

We've been living separately for almost 2 years now. After finding diagram of steps from THE booklet that says 100 requires 2 years from applying 309, we're not hoping to do it again for another 2 years more.

2. What's the difference between 801-Partner (residence) and 100-Partner (migrant)?

I'm aware that there are 3 step process of PMV (300, 820, 801) and 2 step process of PV (309 & 100). But their ends say different things in parantheses and I wonder what it would affect to us in the future.

I'm open for all responses and opinions from most of you here before I decide to resign from my work and take off to Melbourne to get married and migrate.

Thanks, Everyone!