work and holiday visa citizenship bridging visa stay extension visitor visa

5 replies to this topic

#1 Lariza

Lariza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

Hoping that someone out there will be able to help me, it seems that the more I read into this the more confused I become. 

I'm currently in Australia from the US on a Work and Holiday Visa and wish to extend my stay. At first I had gone the route of a Second Year WHV and moved closer to the designated regional work area in Victoria before realizing that I had been following the guidelines of a Working Holiday Visa..not a Work AND Holiday Visa which meant if I wanted to go for another year I needed to move to Western Australia to complete my 88 days. I still feel like such a dummy for reading into the wrong visa, but I'm trying to come up with solutions now. Sadly, my partner(Australian Citizen) and I along with our friend have signed a lease for a rental house recently so there's no way we'd be able to make the move up. So now going for a second year is out. 

I've read about going for my citizenship before but the price of the initial application put me off as my partner and I didn't plan on living in Australia permanently. However, I'm revisiting the idea since the Yes Vote won and our marriage could soon be recognized here. We're really pushing to save the money to go the citizenship route, but I'm afraid that we won't save up enough in time as my WHV is due to expire on March 1st 2018. 

That being said, is there anything I could possibly do to extend my stay in this short amount of time? I've read a little about bridging visas but I'm not sure they apply to me.  

Thank you in advance! 

#2 Aussie_83

Aussie_83

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:17 PM

you seem to be missing a few years. you need to be in the country on a valid visa for 4 years. at least one year of that as PR.

#3 Lariza

Lariza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:00 PM

We’ve lived together in Australia for 9 months now and I’ve read that we could provide more evidence of our relationship to compensate for the rest of the year. I didn’t know about having to be in Australia for 4 years, I must have missed that bit. Is there anything else I could possibly try?

#4 Aussie_83

Aussie_83

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:17 AM

what nationality is your partner?
there is also a limit as to the amount of time you can be offshore. they are trying to make it so you have to have PR for 4 years.

more info would be required to make any comment, example I don't understand the comment about the 9 month relationship compensates for the year.
what are you actually trying for? pr or citizenship?

#5 Aussie_83

Aussie_83

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:18 AM

if you go onto the dibp website there is a visa calculator that may help.
basically you input nationality, what your intentions are and it will provide some options

#6 Blubb

Blubb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:35 AM

You're jumping steps. Whv>citizen is a actually

Whv>BVA=bridging visa A (via submitting app for partnership) > 820 temporary partnership visa > 810 permanent > citizen.
Chuck in BVB if you want to go overseas any time between BVA and 820

If you're in a relationship you can apply for a partner visa, 820/801 you can do this on shore. This is a step towards permanenr residenct status.

Its not cheap, the visa alone is $7k, plus other expenses such as police checks(your partner needs to get an afp natiobal, you would need one from your home country) registering your relationship as a defacto with births deaths and marriages (in vic about $360 from vague memory, you get a cool certificate)
If you apply before your 12months are up you can stay in the country whilst it's being processed (currently 20-24months to move onto the temp 820)

You're issued with a bridging vise which in most cases gives you full working and study rights with no restrictions (goodbye pesky 6month limit) and also medicare.

Once you're in an 820 it's a further could of years before you move onto the 810 which is full permanent resident status.

If you choose to become a citizen there after go for it. You must be pr for a period of time to go for citizen, you must have lived here for 4 years.

my partner came over on a Work and holiday sept '16 we submitted our 820 app sept "17 BVA has kicked in, his BVB should kick in in a week or two for christmas trip, he won't do citizen though as his country doesn't allow dual.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: work and holiday visa, citizenship, bridging visa, stay extension, visitor visa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users