Sign in to follow this  
Sina

Plans to reduce immigration levels

Business groups and Australia’s union movement have joined forces to oppose any plans to reduce immigration levels, promoting a “migration compact” to keep permanent immigration at its current level of about 190,000 a year.

Every year before the previous one, the number of visas granted were very close to the target figure. However, last financial year, the migration intake was significantly below the target (190,000 last year) for the first time in a decade.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/may/04/unions-and-business-groups-unite-to-oppose-cuts-to-immigration

Immigration Reduction talks are back on the news. The PM is talking about capping it at 160,000.

Right or wrong, a lot of Australians feel that this is a good thing.  Statistics suggest, and I'm sure is a correlation, that whenever immigration reduction policy is applied, it seems to precede or contribute to economic slow down.  But you can prove any theory on stats.

The State of New South Wales, where Sydney is the State Capital, is having their State General Elections this weekend. Its interesting to see a number of candidates riding policies for forcing immigrants to settle outside of the main metro cities, regionally, at least at first.  There is some evidence to suggest that the majority of immigrants settle in the metro cities, and the population burden on infrastructure is starting present issues.

"We are dammed if we do and dammed if we dont"

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.