Zoid

Working on a bridging visa

Hi. 

I am planning on applying for a de facto spouse visa in January/feb time from Australia. I am from the uk and my partner is Australian. 

My question(s). I'll be coming across on a 3 month tourist visa, will the bridging visa be granted within this timeframe and also am i able to work on the bridging visa? 

Thankyou in advance

6 hours ago, Zoid said:

Hi. 

I am planning on applying for a de facto spouse visa in January/feb time from Australia. I am from the uk and my partner is Australian. 

My question(s). I'll be coming across on a 3 month tourist visa, will the bridging visa be granted within this timeframe and also am i able to work on the bridging visa? 

Thankyou in advance

Applying for the de facto spouse visa in Australia.

You will need to do this prior to your tourist visa expiring. After you have applied for the partner visa, and when your tourist visa expires, you will go on to a Bridging Visa (Bridging Visa A) which will allow you to remain lawful in Australia until a decision is made on your de facto partner visa. 

Once the Bridging Visa A is granted, the Department of Immigration will let you know whether you can work or not. If your Bridging Visa A does not let you work, or has restrictions on working, you can apply for another Bridging Visa A which allows you to work. To be considered for a Bridging Visa A which allows you to work, you usually have to show financial hardship 

The Department will assess your circumstances in relation to your claim that you need to work. If you do not meet the requirements for work, and you are still eligible for a BVA, they will grant you a new BVA with the same work prevention or restriction condition that was on your previous BVA.

Therefore, you need to wait until you go on to the Bridging Visa A. If it has work rights, that's good for you. If not, you will need to apply for a Bridging Visa A with work rights by demonstrating financial hardship.

Finally, be aware that a Bridging Visa A does not allow you to return to Australia if you leave.  

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

On 8/13/2018 at 2:35 PM, AFV said:

Finally, be aware that a Bridging Visa A does not allow you to return to Australia if you leave

Hi AFV,

I am considering a similar path. Do you know if when applying for a spousal visa one can apply for either Bridging visa A and B? Thanks!

On 2/3/2019 at 5:10 PM, Keeth said:

Hi AFV,

I am considering a similar path. Do you know if when applying for a spousal visa one can apply for either Bridging visa A and B? Thanks!

When applying for the partner visa you will be granted the Bridging Visa A. You would only want to apply for the Bridging Visa B if you had a need to travel outside of Australia during the processing period of your partner visa application.

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

I know this is not an open question forum, however I feel it may be revelvant to the question asked. We are aware their are changes coming into place in the next few months that will effect the timing for those on short visa. The sponsor having to be approved before the aplicant can apply. does anyone know how this will effect those on a short term visa? 

50 minutes ago, Bws1975 said:

I know this is not an open question forum, however I feel it may be revelvant to the question asked. We are aware their are changes coming into place in the next few months that will effect the timing for those on short visa. The sponsor having to be approved before the aplicant can apply. does anyone know how this will effect those on a short term visa? 

Not sure what you mean by 'open question forum', but you can discuss any Australian visa issues here. If it is completely off topic, then start a new thread.

You raise a very important issue indeed, and I am not sure what the answers will be. For example a person in Australia on a 3-month visitor visa without Condition 8503 and wanting to apply for a partner visa will be prevented from doing so until their partners sponsorship is approved. It will come down to how long it will take for sponsorship approval. Will be very interesting to see how this all works.  

920x113.jpg

On 2/8/2019 at 10:44 AM, AFV said:

Not sure what you mean by 'open question forum', but you can discuss any Australian visa issues here. If it is completely off topic, then start a new thread.

You raise a very important issue indeed, and I am not sure what the answers will be. For example a person in Australia on a 3-month visitor visa without Condition 8503 and wanting to apply for a partner visa will be prevented from doing so until their partners sponsorship is approved. It will come down to how long it will take for sponsorship approval. Will be very interesting to see how this all works.  

I meant I felt my question was inline with this post. But I am wondering if anyone knows how the changes will be working yet. or is it something we have to wait and see and they will change and then everyone has to learn a new process that has no information given. 

24 minutes ago, Bws1975 said:

I meant I felt my question was inline with this post. But I am wondering if anyone knows how the changes will be working yet. or is it something we have to wait and see and they will change and then everyone has to learn a new process that has no information given. 

I'm not the source of this, but it does provides some helpful information. Until the new regulations come into existence, it is anyone's guess how the sponsorship pre-approval will operate. See: Changes to Australian Partner Visas - Sponsors

920x113.jpg