Soi_Sauce

Thai police clearance certificate for an Australian partner visa

Does anyone know the steps involved in obtaining a Thai police clearance certificate for an Australian partner visa. Both my wife and her daughter have been asked to provide one. The information on the  Australian immigration website doesn't really explain much. 

29 minutes ago, Soi_Sauce said:

Does anyone know the steps involved in obtaining a Thai police clearance certificate for an Australian partner visa. Both my wife and her daughter have been asked to provide one. The information on the  Australian immigration website doesn't really explain much. 

2 minutes ago, Aussie_83 said:

You need to get the info from the Thai police site. But the home affairs site has much of the info.

Where are they currently?

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/contact/offices-locations/thailand

IMHO the information with regards to Thai police checks on both the Department of Home Affairs and Royal Thai Police websites is insufficient. For starters it fails to mention how a person obtains the required Letter of Introduction. Although this may have changed, this has generally been the process to obtain a Thai police check for an Australian visa.

Obtaining a Royal Thai Police Clearance for an Australian Visa 

Letter of Introduction from the Australian Embassy Bangkok 

The first thing is that the applicant will need to obtain a Letter of Introduction to the Royal Thai Police from the Australian Embassy Bangkok.

This document, which states that the applicant needs to obtain a Royal Thai Police clearance for an Australian visa, is obtained from the Australian Visa Application Centre in Bangkok. You don't need to make an appointment if that is all you need to obtain. Make sure you take your passport and a copy of your acknowledgement of having made a valid visa application. That letter then needs to then be taken to the Royal Thai Police. See below.

If an applicant hasn't already done their required biometrics, when they attend the Australian Visa Application Centre in Bangkok they can then get the Letter of Introduction then. However, an appointment is needed for the biometrics.  When at the Australian Visa Application Centre just tell them over the counter that you also need the Letter of Introduction for the police check.

Lastly, if you are unable to attend the Australian Visa Application Centre in person. You can apply for one by email. These are the steps:

1. Email the Australian visa application centre at info.auth@vfshelpline.com  and tell them you need the Letter of Introduction for a Royal Thai Police check for an Australian Visa.
  2. They will send you their bank details. You then need to make payment (200 baht from memory) and send them confirmation that the payment has been made. You will need to provide an address in Thailand and that is where the original Letter of Introduction will be sent. 
  3. You then take the original Letter of Introduction to the Royal Thai Police HQ in Bangkok.

After you have obtained the Letter of Introduction - Applying for Royal Thai Police clearance from an Australian visa

After you have finally obtained the Letter of Introduction, you will need to attend the Royal Thai Police HQ in Bangkok (located near Siam BTS). You don't need to make an appointment. There you will apply for the Royal Thai Police clearance certificate and the certificate will be mailed to you in around 4 weeks.

Make sure you have ALL documents with you, such as:

• Letter of Introduction from the Australian Embassy Bangkok 
  • Passport
  • ID card
  • Birth Certificate
  • All documents evidencing any name change (if applicable)
  • Document of single status (if applicable)
  • Marriage certificates (if applicable)
  • Divorce certificates (if applicable)
  • Evidence of any military service (if applicable)

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

You guys are absolute legends. I emailed them already and they responded in 15 minutes.

"Please kindly provide the clear applicant’s passport copy and the request the introduction letter for Thai Royal Police cannot be received by email.The courier fee will depend on how many THAI address that the letter will send to. In case send to one address, the courier fee will be 200 Baht. Please send the evidence of your deposit back to this email together with the THAI address. Please note that the international transfer will have a local bank charge from your deposit so VFS may not receive the full amount from your deposit. Please send the evidence of your deposit back to this email together with the THAI address. Please note that the international transfer will have a local bank charge from your deposit so VFS may not receive the full amount from your deposit.

The email response had the Thai bank details for the Australian Visa Application Centre which I have left out.

I have two additional questions:

How much does the police check cost?

My wife's daughter does not have a passport as she is not migrating to Australia. Will this be an issue?

Great that we could help here. That is a fantastic response time indeed.

From memory the actual cost for the Thai police clearance is not much. 100 baht or so, perhaps a little bit more, but it is certainly not expensive. 

As for whether your wife's daughter needs a passport. This is something you will need to check directly with the Royal Thai Police. She is not migrating to Australia and therefore does not require a passport by the Department of Home Affairs. Unfortunately the Royal Thai Police don't seem to understand this concept and therefore think that anyone getting a Thai police check for an Australian visa, must therefore need a passport. Fortunately obtaining a Thai passport is relatively quick easy in Thailand.

Perhaps obtain the Letters of Introduction first. If your wife's daughter does not have a passport, the Australian Visa Application centre will enter her Thai ID card number on the letter, then attend the Royal Thai Police HQ. If they say that she needs a passport, then that you will have to do.

Note: All persons required to obtain a Royal Thai Police clearance have to attend in person. 

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Interesting, when we did it.... Near 4 years ago I suppose we didn't have a letter of introduction.

The check is only a couple of hundred baht, though the last "helping" us with translations offered to do it for us for only 5000 and have known others who's friends offer to do it for 10000.....

Thanks AFV and Aussie_83

I am going to err on the side of caution and organise for my wife's daughter go get her passport now. She goes to university in Chiang Mai, and I don't want to waste two trips to Bangkok if it can be avoided. Also, she will then have a passport if she decided later that she wants to visit us in Australia. Thanks again for all the advice here. I have another question, but I am going to start a new post. Many many thanks for such a great forum. 

2 hours ago, Aussie_83 said:

Interesting, when we did it.... Near 4 years ago I suppose we didn't have a letter of introduction.

The check is only a couple of hundred baht, though the last "helping" us with translations offered to do it for us for only 5000 and have known others who's friends offer to do it for 10000.....

Depends on whether they ask for it or not.

Have also heard of those ridiculous amounts charged for "express" service. 

920x113.jpg

Update: We paid the 200baht by bank transfer and they have sent out the two letters of introduction for the police check for my wife and her daughter. They even emailed us a Thai Post EMS tracking number. My wife's daughter is going to apply for her passport next week. Once received they will both go to Bangkok and apply for their police checks. 

1 minute ago, john70 said:

Is it nessesary to get the Royal Thai police check done in Bangkok ? Can't it be done in Chiang Mai royal thai police HQ ?

Unfortunately not. It can only be obtained from The Police Clearance Service Center, Building 24, Royal Thai Police Headquarters, 
Rama I, Pathumwan, Bangkok.

920x113.jpg

Does the police check get asked for after the application is submitted and I wonder if this could all be done on one trip to Bangkok ? correct me if i am wrong but i believe there needs to be a medical certificate done, this police record check and biometrics. Do they usually ask for this info all at once and later down the track once the application has been submitted ? thank you

9 minutes ago, john70 said:

Does the police check get asked for after the application is submitted and I wonder if this could all be done on one trip to Bangkok ? correct me if i am wrong but i believe there needs to be a medical certificate done, this police record check and biometrics. Do they usually ask for this info all at once and later down the track once the application has been submitted ? thank you

I am assuming this is an offshore application (subclass 309 or 300).

I suggest doing the medicals and police checks only after being requested to do so as they are only valid for 12 months.

Biometrics - can be done in Chiang Mai at the Australian Visa Application Centre. Located on Huay Kaew Rd just north of the Nimmanhaemin and Ring Road intersection.

Medicals - Must be done by a Department approved panel doctor. Chiang Mai Ram Hospital has an approved panel doctor.

Police Check - Has to be done in Bangkok.

920x113.jpg

Nothing to add except that I concur with AFV post above ^^^.  

Maybe one thing, don't do the police check until you receive the letter requesting it as you will need the letter to get the police check done. (you can get around this but it's easier to have the letter)

On 2/6/2019 at 3:17 PM, john70 said:

Has to be done in Bangkok and don't forget to get the letter of introduction from the Australian Embassy Bangkok. We got turned away twice. Firstly we didn't have the letter of introduction, and when we went back to second time my wife didn't have evidence of her name change. Our fault, we just weren't prepared.