sydneybound

309 overseas application -Must Arrive Before Date?

hello, 

we are starting out on the visa process and will be applying for the 309/M100 visa from USA. Had a call with home affairs but he was pretty unhelpful - very vague. 

I am trying to work out the best time to apply for my husband based on my work contracts here in the USA. I have been trying to find any information about how long we have to move AFTER his visa is granted. Guy at home affairs has advised processing time anywhere from 12-17 months, but I've seen people online that have said their visas have been granted in as little as 3 months! I am about to sign a 2 year contract with a USA company so want to be sure of my timings!

I read online that you have 12 months from when your medical assessment is carried out? is this true? If so, at what point during your application is the medical assessment done?

In addition to the must arrive by date question, anyone had any luck with also getting permeant residency at time of 309 application? Guy form home affairs said there was no "specific" criteria to meet and its up to the visa officer who processes my application. 

Facts:

I am Australian, husband is Hungarian.

Met in London and have been in relationship for 12 years, married in London 2 years ago,

moved to USA 2 years ago. 

Plan to apply from here and move once visa is granted

thanks!!

11 minutes ago, sydneybound said:

hello, 

we are starting out on the visa process and will be applying for the 309/M100 visa from USA. Had a call with home affairs but he was pretty unhelpful - very vague. 

I am trying to work out the best time to apply for my husband based on my work contracts here in the USA. I have been trying to find any information about how long we have to move AFTER his visa is granted. Guy at home affairs has advised processing time anywhere from 12-17 months, but I've seen people online that have said their visas have been granted in as little as 3 months! I am about to sign a 2 year contract with a USA company so want to be sure of my timings!

I read online that you have 12 months from when your medical assessment is carried out? is this true? If so, at what point during your application is the medical assessment done?

In addition to the must arrive by date question, anyone had any luck with also getting permeant residency at time of 309 application? Guy form home affairs said there was no "specific" criteria to meet and its up to the visa officer who processes my application. 

Facts:

I am Australian, husband is Hungarian.

Met in London and have been in relationship for 12 years, married in London 2 years ago,

moved to USA 2 years ago. 

Plan to apply from here and move once visa is granted

thanks!!

Welcome to the Australian Visa Forum,

An applicant may be granted the permanent visa without the temporary partner visa if they have been in a relationship with their partner for three years or more, or two years or more if there are children of the relationship. Note: this is entirely at the discretion of the delegate deciding the application. 

Once the visa is granted, the visa holder will have a date to enter Australia by. This date is usually linked to the date the medicals and police checks were done as they are only valid for 12 months. Note: once the visa is granted, the holder only has to enter Australia prior to the first entry date. They can the depart Australia after that (condition complied with). You partner could then join you back in the US until your contract ends.

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

On 1/13/2019 at 9:19 PM, sydneybound said:

If so, at what point during your application is the medical assessment done?

I would like to know this as well. There are a lot of moving parts (no pun intended) that we're trying to line up and to know this would be helpful. 

6 hours ago, shawndee said:

I would like to know this as well. There are a lot of moving parts (no pun intended) that we're trying to line up and to know this would be helpful. 

As medicals are only valid for 12 months, it is recommended that you wait until  you are requested to do them.

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.