BryanL57

Responding to false information given in a visa application

My wife and I have somewhat of a dilemma. She was granted her PR in 2015. In 2012 I employed the services of a visa agent to assist with the original partner visa application. When it came time do doing the permanent visa, much to my strong protestations at the time, my wife wanted to do it all herself to save money. To cut a long short she was eventually granted her PR in 2015 and we have been living in Australia ever since. However, she recently applied for a child visa for her son who has just completed school. This was always the plan, as she wanted him to finish his education in the Philipines and then join us in Australia. Immigration has now contacted my wife for an explanation as to why her son was not declared on the visa application and given her 28 days to respond. I know that he was declared on the original visa application by the visa agent as he was required to undertake a medical. In drawing the dots, and knowing my wife, I am suspecting that she just ticked that she has no children and moved on to the next question. Interestingly, her son has been to Australia on 2 tourist visas in the past three years, and nothing was previously raised. This has only raised its head since the child visa application was submitted. I would appreciate any advice on how to deal with the response to Immigration.    

19 minutes ago, BryanL57 said:

My wife and I have somewhat of a dilemma. She was granted her PR in 2015. In 2012 I employed the services of a visa agent to assist with the original partner visa application. When it came time do doing the permanent visa, much to my strong protestations at the time, my wife wanted to do it all herself to save money. To cut a long short she was eventually granted her PR in 2015 and we have been living in Australia ever since. However, she recently applied for a child visa for her son who has just completed school. This was always the plan, as she wanted him to finish his education in the Philipines and then join us in Australia. Immigration has now contacted my wife for an explanation as to why her son was not declared on the visa application and given her 28 days to respond. I know that he was declared on the original visa application by the visa agent as he was required to undertake a medical. In drawing the dots, and knowing my wife, I am suspecting that she just ticked that she has no children and moved on to the next question. Interestingly, her son has been to Australia on 2 tourist visas in the past three years, and nothing was previously raised. This has only raised its head since the child visa application was submitted. I would appreciate any advice on how to deal with the response to Immigration.    

If that is the case, that the son was not declared on the permanent visa application, then your wife needs to fall on her sword and write to the Department telling them that it was a careless and irresponsible oversight on her path, and she did not purposely intend to provide false information to the Department. She should also mention that her son was included in the temporary partner visa application which was handled by a migration agent at the time. Good luck.

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:23 PM, AFV said:

If that is the case, that the son was not declared on the permanent visa application, then your wife needs to fall on her sword and write to the Department telling them that it was a careless and irresponsible oversight on her path, and she did not purposely intend to provide false information to the Department. She should also mention that her son was included in the temporary partner visa application which was handled by a migration agent at the time. Good luck.

Thank you for this advice AFV. My wife has written a statutory declaration and worded it exactly as you recommended. 

A valuable lesson has been learned here. I will let you know the outcome.

On 1/17/2019 at 6:59 PM, BryanL57 said:

Respond QUICKLY, ACCURATELY and above all TRUTHFULLY.  We all make mistakes, how we correct these mistakes is an insight who we really are.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

11 minutes ago, AussieDude said:

Respond QUICKLY, ACCURATELY and above all TRUTHFULLY.  We all make mistakes, how we correct these mistakes is an insight who we really are.

Could not agree more!

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

3 minutes ago, AFV said:

Could not agree more!

@AussieDudeis doing a little dance.....    Finally someone who agrees with this sad old fart.

What I allude to here is 'Integrity'.  The following article gives a rare and candid insight to the culture of an Australian Public Servant.

https://www.apsc.gov.au/culture-integrity

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.