HDHAWAN

Australian Visitor Visa for Children

Hi All

I am applying Australia Tourist Visa for My Niece (Age 13) and Nephew (Age 10). I am Permanent Resident in Australia.They will be travelling with their Grandparents, Visa application already filed for Grandparents.

I have few questions

a) Can I apply for their (niece and nephew) visa through my own immi account?

b) As they will be staying with me, Do I need to fill 1257?

c) What all funding proofs be used for them? I can provide my income proofs and their parents bank statement

d) any other point I need to be careful of?

Cheers

1 hour ago, HDHAWAN said:

Hi All

I am applying Australia Tourist Visa for My Niece (Age 13) and Nephew (Age 10). I am Permanent Resident in Australia.They will be travelling with their Grandparents, Visa application already filed for Grandparents.

I have few questions

a) Can I apply for their (niece and nephew) visa through my own immi account?

b) As they will be staying with me, Do I need to fill 1257?

c) What all funding proofs be used for them? I can provide my income proofs and their parents bank statement

d) any other point I need to be careful of?

Cheers

As you referred to a tourist visa, I am assuming that this is a visitor visa application under the tourist stream and not the family sponsored stream. 

You can use your own IMMI account. It would have been advisable to submit all tourist visa applications at the same time however.  

You do not need to provide a Form 1257 Undertaking Declaration as you are a relative of the children who they will be staying with in Australia. You will however need to provide a Form 1229 Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years. This needs to be completed by both parents or those with parental responsibility. Note: for the grandparents to have parental responsibility it must be legal parental responsibility, and evidence of that needs to be provided. Pay particular attention to the documents that must be provided with a Form 1229.

Any person providing support to a visa applicant whether it be accomodation, financial etc, should provide a letter of support stating the support that they are offering the visa applicants, together with evidence their ability to provide the support 

As this is a tourist visa application for children travelling without their parents, and I am assuming the grandparents don't have parental responsibility, then in addition the Form 1229 I would recommend a covering letter from the person(s) who complete the Form 1229 stating that the children will be travelling to Australia with their grandparents and staying with their Uncle. I would also include evidence that you are their Uncle, such as birth certificates etc. It is all about giving the Department sufficient information so that they can make a favourable decision.

Lastly, if you are applying for them using your IMMI account you should also include a Form 956 appointing you as an exempt person. This should be signed by the same person(s) who completed the Form 1229. On the Form 956 it refers an exempt person being a close family member, such as spouse, child, adopted child, parent, brother or sister of a visa applicant). However my own personal view is that an Uncle can be an exempt person, by virtue of the fact that they would be eligible to sponsor a family member under the sponsored family stream.    

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.