rob_fifo

Thai girlfriend refused tourist visa. Any tips on applying again?

Hi 

My thai gf applied for a tourist visa but it was refused. Looking for some tips on applying again. The letter she got from the embassy says that her economic situation in Thailand would not encourage her to return from Australia. What does that even mean? We have been in a relationship for 6 month and I support her and her son by sending them money each months. I own my own house and am on good salary. I can sponsor her if I have to and give guarantee she will go home from Australia. 

5 hours ago, rob_fifo said:

Hi 

My thai gf applied for a tourist visa but it was refused. Looking for some tips on applying again. The letter she got from the embassy says that her economic situation in Thailand would not encourage her to return from Australia. What does that even mean? We have been in a relationship for 6 month and I support her and her son by sending them money each months. I own my own house and am on good salary. I can sponsor her if I have to and give guarantee she will go home from Australia. 

Welcome to the Australian Visa Forum,

You said you have known your girlfriend 6 months, when did you first meet in person, and how many visit to Thailand (and for how long each visit) have you made to see her since you first met in person? Also, what evidence of contact do you have with her, for example, photos etc.

What are your girlfriends circumstances: age, employment, savings, family member in Thailand?

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Just adding to this:

1. You cannot sponsor her as she is not eligible for a sponsored family visitor visa. You can however provide a letter of support which states what support you are prepared to offer her, such financial and accommodation support. It is up to the decision maker how much weight they will attach to your support letter. It is primarily an assessment of  the applicant's circumstances that will determine whether they meet the criteria for the grant of a visitor visa. 
  2. You cannot guarantee that she will comply with her visa conditions if granted a visitor visa under the tourist stream.

It will help us if you could answer AFV questions above.

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

I first me her online on thaifriendly in August and went to Thailand in December for 10 days. She lives in Buriram with mother, auntie and her son. She does not work but I support her with 10000 bahts. Only want her to come to Australia for a short holiday of 2 weeks. I work 4 weeks on site and have 2 weeks off, so plan for her to visit when I have 2 weeks off. Should I write a letter with next application and if so can you tell me what to include. 

22 minutes ago, rob_fifo said:

I first me her online on thaifriendly in August and went to Thailand in December for 10 days. She lives in Buriram with mother, auntie and her son. She does not work but I support her with 10000 bahts. Only want her to come to Australia for a short holiday of 2 weeks. I work 4 weeks on site and have 2 weeks off, so plan for her to visit when I have 2 weeks off. Should I write a letter with next application and if so can you tell me what to include. 

It is an assessment of your girlfriends circumstances that will determine whether she will meets the criteria for the grant of a tourist visa. Based on what you have posted I would confidently say that she would not meet that criteria, and in fact, her recent tourist visa refusal has affirmed this

Whilst you could provide a letter of support offering accomodation and financial support, it is also my view that you have not known her long enough for the Department to attach any weight to your support letter. It will always been an assessment of the applicant circumstances, but if enough weight can be attached to a letter of support, it can help in meeting the criteria, and more than often does. 

I would suggest a few more visits to Thailand over the next several months, and gather plenty of evidence of contact. If you can do that, perhaps look at applying again in 6 months time. If she were to apply again now, I can confidently say her further tourist visa application would be refused too. 

920x113.jpg

Basically to prove you are a genuine tourist so mainly need to prove funds in your own name and intent to return.

Some countries are harder due to a history of the people to breach visa conditions. Thailand is definitely one such country and for good reason.

If you are asking what documents are required the other thread covers it exhaustively so best to go over it to save just reposting the same info.

2 hours ago, Aussie_83 said:

so mainly need to prove funds in your own name

I wish people would stop using this sophism

The actual requirement is the applicants must have adequate means to support themselves, or access to adequate means to support themselves, during the period of the applicant’s intended stay in Australia.

This would need to be proven of course.

2 hours ago, Aussie_83 said:

Thailand is definitely one such country and for good reason

I would love to hear what this good reason is? 

50 minutes ago, Nightcall said:

I wish people would stop using this sophism

The actual requirement is the applicants must have adequate means to support themselves, or access to adequate means to support themselves, during the period of the applicant’s intended stay in Australia.

This would need to be proven of course.

I would love to hear what this good reason is? 

True it needs to be proved and to put it simple to avoid confusion is to say in their name. As you say didn't need to be in their name but they need to be able to have direct access to it. As I always say to those who wonder why their support isn't enough it's also to help prevent people from being abandoned or coerced into a bad situation once they arrive here.

As I said the people have a history of breaching visa conditions. And for the most part they don't see it as doing anything wrong or there being an issue with it. Basing that comment on personal experience with various Thai communities in different areas and clashing with my wife on her first couple of visas, due to friends say, cousin say, people say is okay not worry.

17 hours ago, Aussie_83 said:

True it needs to be proved and to put it simple to avoid confusion is to say in their name

But a person such as this would raise numerous indicators as the required amount of money that they need of their own isn't inline with their income.

I believe it's better to explain the situation and provide evidence of support to similar amounts that is required over an extended period. To the OP if still reading 6 months isn't an extended period and 10,000 baht per month isn't enough to meet this requirement.

17 hours ago, Aussie_83 said:

As I said the people have a history of breaching visa conditions. And for the most part they don't see it as doing anything wrong or there being an issue with it.

Thais have a fairly low non-compliance rate, especially those in relationships with Australian citizens so I don't believe it's that good a reason. 

But given the strictness of visa issuing for Thai's, it's a causality dilemma. 

36 minutes ago, rob_fifo said:

thank you for the information. I have 2 weeks off in March and will come to Thailand then to see my girlfriend. Do you think good idea to apply again after visit.

No I don't, I would give it one more further visit. For your information the only way that your girlfriend will get a visa is to show you're in a serious relationship, she would never get one on her own accord.

Another thing to keep in mind in regards to this is that they don't grant 2 week visas, normally it's a 3 month visa or longer, so keep that in mind that in effect your applying for a 3 month visa, so the connection between you needs to be stronger than you have.

Visa's are an involved process when your girlfriend has this sort of background, it's not judgemental by me and can be done, but it's involved.

TBH, 10,000 baht a month isn't a good demonstration of support, maybe over a few years, but not in the short time you have known each other. 

To get a visa you need to build evidence of how serious your relationship is, demostrarte serious support, demonstrate that it's just not a fling.

Feel free to PM me if you wish as I have a soft spot for your girlfriends region. 

Update here.

Since my girlfriend was refused her visa I been back twice now and have over 100 photos. Going to apply again.

Appreciate any more tips on how to put in a strong application?

3 hours ago, rob_fifo said:

Update here.

Since my girlfriend was refused her visa I been back twice now and have over 100 photos. Going to apply again.

1. Be sure to address all the reasons for the previous rejection. Do the same as before, expect the same results as before. 
  2. Do your research on this forum.  There are countless posts offering examples and guidance.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

On 5/17/2019 at 1:37 PM, rob_fifo said:

Update here.

Dont get too hung up on photos.  On their own, photos mean nothing, as they are very hard to establish their authenticity and date take.  They do however (when combined with other corroborating evidence) can help to establish proof of a given event.  Nothing  annoys a IMMI officer than having to wade through a 100 of your holiday pics.  2-3 carefully selected pics, with supporting evidence to corroborate the people in the pic, the location, event and date is far more important.

Before attaching a 100 photos to the application, really research and understand to what benefit they add.  A 1000 photos will not save an application that fails to answer the basic criteria.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.