Jump to content
landscape95

Skill Assessment for PhD in Data Science/Computer Science with a Medical Degree Bachelor

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I am doing a PhD in Data Science. I'm doing a bioinformatics research which investigate the gene/cancer using computational methods. I hold a Medical Degree in Vietnam. I am not sure how to do the skill assessment after I finish the PhD. I am staying in South Australia. I have checked the ACS skill list, these occupations require a computer-science-related credits for the skill assessment while I hold an MD degree.

Does anyone have any information in my situation? Your help is really appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, landscape95 said:
Hi everyone, I am doing a PhD in Data Science. I'm doing a bioinformatics research which investigate the gene/cancer using computational methods. I hold a Medical Degree in Vietnam. I am not sure how to do the skill assessment after I finish the PhD. I am staying in South Australia. I have checked the ACS skill list, these occupations require a computer-science-related credits for the skill assessment while I hold an MD degree.

Does anyone have any information in my situation? Your help is really appreciated!

Wow, certainly an interesting and valuable field of research.

Let us know what ACS Profession codes you are looking at, so we can possibly help further.

When you get to your level, and with complex science disciplines, ACS often does not have the right classification, and you may need to seek a specific classification/assessment for yourself.


 

 

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AussieDude said:

 Wow, certainly an interesting and valuable field of research.

Let us know what ACS Profession codes you are looking at, so we can possibly help further.

 When you get to your level, and with complex science disciplines, ACS often does not have the right classification, and you may need to seek a specific classification/assessment for yourself.

Thanks, I am thinking about 261313-software engineer but I am not sure is it or not and I don't have any credits in the ICT unit since my bachelor is medicine. Sorry my occupation seems confusing but I don't know which Profession codes should I look at. Should I do a lecturer job or research fellow (it's currently out of shortage skill list). Could you please give me some suggestions? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, landscape95 said:

Thanks, I am thinking about 261313-software engineer but I am not sure is it or not and I don't have any credits in the ICT unit since my bachelor is medicine. Sorry my occupation seems confusing but I don't know which Profession codes should I look at. Should I do a lecturer job or research fellow (it's currently out of shortage skill list). Could you please give me some suggestions? Thanks

I assume you went straight into the PhD?  or did you do a MSC in between?


 

 

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, landscape95 said:

I went straight into the PhD

OK, so until you get your PhD, you only hold a BSc I am assuming.  So, you are correct you can not claim the BSc Med as an IT related degree.  Although you are researching and studying data science, I again assume you do not have any relevant work experience in IT.  Even then, your foundation degree is not in IT.

So, are you able to wait until you finish your PhD, I think your options will be much better then?  

With a PhD you will be eligible for various sponsored academic roles, teaching etc, which will allow you to seek a industry job on the side if thats what u want, while building experience.


 

 

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AussieDude said:

OK, so until you get your PhD, you only hold a BSc I am assuming.  So, you are correct you can not claim the BSc Med as an IT related degree.  Although you are researching and studying data science, I again assume you do not have any relevant work experience in IT.  Even then, your foundation degree is not in IT.

So, are you able to wait until you finish your PhD, I think your options will be much better then?  

With a PhD you will be eligible for various sponsored academic roles, teaching etc, which will allow you to seek a industry job on the side if thats what u want, while building experience.

Thanks, that what I am thinking about, to apply for PR after I finish my PhD, but with my "complicated" background/degree, I am not sure which profession ANZSCO code should I apply then (that's my main question for this topic). Do you have any information or suggestion? Will working at school as a lecturer or research fellow would help to apply for PR as I have searched, they're out of the shortage skill list now. 

P/S. I have a pretty good relationship with my supervisor so I hope to stay at school doing academic research work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, landscape95 said:

Thanks, that what I am thinking about, to apply for PR after I finish my PhD, but with my "complicated" background/degree, I am not sure which profession ANZSCO code should I apply then (that's my main question for this topic). Do you have any information or suggestion? Will working at school as a lecturer or research fellow would help to apply for PR as I have search, they're out of the shortage skill list now.

All PhD skills assessments are complicated, as all PhD's are unique, generally speaking.  Working, regardless either still under your Student Visa or as a sponsored educator will certainly help.  I would start to work your network at your Uni, and your industry contacts to seek out a possible sponsored Visa, jobs for your skillset are very unlikely to come through the EOI process.  As they say, they want you bad enough, they will find a way to get you here.


 

 

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AussieDude said:

All PhD skills assessments are complicated, as all PhD's are unique, generally speaking.  Working, regardless either still under your Student Visa or as a sponsored educator will certainly help.  I would start to work your network at your Uni, and your industry contacts to seek out a possible sponsored Visa, jobs for your skillset are very unlikely to come through the EOI process.  As they say, they want you bad enough, they will find a way to get you here.

Thanks, look like your last sentence gives me some hope. In case they can sponsor me as an employer's sponsor, I have heard and read even with PhD, I should have a relevant ANZSCO code of skilled occupation in the list and do the skills assessment as usual, is there any difference compared to the PhD's complicated assessment you mentioned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, landscape95 said:

Thanks, look like your last sentence gives me some hope. In case they can sponsor me as an employer's sponsor, I have heard and read even with PhD, I should have a relevant ANZSCO code of skilled occupation in the list and do the skills assessment as usual, is there any difference compared to the PhD's complicated assessment you mentioned?

When there is need for specialist skills, and there is clearly no local applicants, yes.  No one would argue with a University seeking a PhD teacher etc.


 

 

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...