Sign in to follow this  
GwenVo

Full time job to PR visa

Hi All,

Recently, I am offered a full time permanent accounting job but I'm currently on 485 visa which will expire very soon. I got a degree from an Australian Uni as well.

Can you please advise me is there a visa that let you stay in Aus once having a full time permanent job?

Thanks a lot.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:20 PM, GwenVo said:

Hi All,

Recently, I am offered a full time permanent accounting job but I'm currently on 485 visa which will expire very soon. I got a degree from an Australian Uni as well.

Can you please advise me is there a visa that let you stay in Aus once having a full time permanent job?

Thanks a lot.

Your new employer will have to apply to be a sponsor first, then sponsor you for a skilled worker visa.  2 options generally;

1. A Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482 Short Term Stream). For this you must have at least 2 years work experience in the field your qualified/working in.
  2. A Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482 Medium Term Stream). For this you must have at least 2 years work experience in the field your qualified/working in.  Plus your occupation must be on the MLTSSL Occupations List.

However, for option 2 to apply, there is a nasty caveat (special condition) on the MLTSSL list that applies to Accountants, applying for 482 visa's  I quote;

"Accountant (General) Caveats apply
482 - Temporary Skill Shortage (subclass 482) – Medium Term Stream

• Business size: Excludes positions that are in a business that has fewer than five employees.
  • Business size: Excludes positions that are in a business that has an annual turnover of less than AUD1M.
  • Low skilled tasks: Excludes clerical, bookkeeper or accounting clerk positions."

This caveat intrigued me, and I did some digging.  Its affectionately known as the "Job for a Friend" clause.  Its to ensure that accountants work in larger companies, and not as a bookkeeper in a friends or families small business.  The argument being a small business with less than 5 employees or with a turnover of less than $1m wold not require a qualified accountant.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.