festiboi

Offshore Subclass 309/100 partner visa has been approved. Now what?

Hey everyone,
After 13 months, my American husband's offshore provisional 309/100 partner visa has been approved.  We're very excited, but also embarrassingly unsure of what happens now.  We did receive the below messages and some of it is confusing and vague:

Application%20Approval.jpg

Application%20Approval%202.jpg

We're both still residing in the U.S. and will need to be here until at least October, 2019 when he finishes his contract with NASA.

Our main questions are:
- Is he required to enter Australia by 5th July?  Can he just visit, or does he have to relocate?

-What is the significance of 12th March, 2024?  Is that the deadline to move?  We're confused that the first entry is required by 5th July, but he must not arrive later than 12th March, 2024.  It seems contradictory.

-If he must enter Australia by 5th July, do I, the Australian sponsor, have to go with him?

-What happens upon his first visit to Australia?  Does he need a tourist visa, or does he use this visa and go through extra processing at customs?  How does that first entrance into Australia work and what paperwork is needed?

-What is the next step and what's needed to move onto the permanent resident visa?

Sorry if some of these questions are silly and redundant.  I couldn't see any recent threads concerning this.

Thank you so much!

Ryan

Congratulations on the fantastic news. Your husband has been granted the temporary partner visa, immediately followed by the permanent partner visa. He now has full Australian permanent residency. You do not need to worry about the second stage processing requirement, due to him being granted the permanent visa at the same time. This is a great outcome indeed - well done.

He must make an initial entry into Australia no later than 5 July 2019. You will probably find that this date coincides with when the medicals or police clearances were obtained, as they are only valid for 12 months. If he so chooses, he can then fly back to the US the next day as his permanent visa permits unlimited travel. There is absolutely no requirement for you (the sponsor) to travel with him. 

The Must not arrive date after 24 March 2024 date refers to his travel facility, known as a Resident Return Visa (RRV). Basically, his permanent visa permits unlimited travel during the next 5 years. It has to be renewed every 5 years, or yearly depending upon how much time has been spent outside of Australia.  Don't stress, as this is an easy process that is done online. Just be mindful of that date approaching. If you are in Australia and wanting to travel, you will need to renew the RRV. If you are outside of Australia and wanting to return you will need to renew the RRV. He may want to consider applying for Australian citizenship when eligible, then there is no requirement to renew the RRV as he would be an Australian citizen. 

He now has a permanent visa. There is no requirement for any other visa for him. When he arrives in Australia there is no paperwork for him to complete other than the incoming passenger arrival card that all people arriving into Australia complete. 

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

As AFV has said, your husband is now on the permanent partner visa. Just make that first entry by 5 July 2019 and remember the renew the 5 year travel facility.

Congratulation on the great outcome. 

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

56 minutes ago, AFV said:

Congratulations on the fantastic news. Your husband has been granted the temporary partner visa, immediately followed by the permanent partner visa. He now has full Australian permanent residency. You do not need to worry about the second stage processing requirement, due to him being granted the permanent visa at the same time. This is a great outcome indeed - well done.

He must make an initial entry into Australia no later than 5 July 2019. You will probably find that this date coincides with when the medicals or police clearances were obtained, as they are only valid for 12 months. If he so chooses, he can then fly back to the US the next day as his permanent visa permits unlimited travel. There is absolutely no requirement for you (the sponsor) to travel with him. 

The Must not arrive date after 24 March 2024 date refers to his travel facility, known as a Resident Return Visa (RRV). Basically, his permanent visa permits unlimited travel during the next 5 years. It has to be renewed every 5 years, or yearly depending upon how much time has been spent outside of Australia.  Don't stress, as this is an easy process that is done online. Just be mindful of that date approaching. If you are in Australia and wanting to travel, you will need to renew the RRV. If you are outside of Australia and wanting to return you will need to renew the RRV. He may want to consider applying for Australian citizenship when eligible, then there is no requirement to renew the RRV as he would be an Australian citizen. 

He now has a permanent visa. There is no requirement for any other visa for him. When he arrives in Australia there is no paperwork for him to complete other than the incoming passenger arrival card that all people arriving into Australia complete. 

Seriously?!  We leapfrogged a bunch of people, including a friend of ours waiting for their PR for three years now?!  Not sure how that happened. but that is excellent news indeed!

Thank you for the amazing info; as I was completely not expecting it or thought it was possible and was blind to what was approved.  So an entrance into Australia, regardless of length, is necessary before July, and there's no deadline to permanently settle. 

And I've PM'ed you, but no greencard or documentation needed for him?  I'm used to having to cart my U.S. one everywhere at all points of entry into the United States, plus having to show it at foreign airports when checking in for a U.S. bound flight.  It's been imbedded in my head for years to always show documentation that I belong in this country.  

Thanks again!

14 minutes ago, Bridge said:

As AFV has said, your husband is now on the permanent partner visa. Just make that first entry by 5 July 2019 and remember the renew the 5 year travel facility.

Congratulation on the great outcome. 

Great news indeed!  Amazing, in fact.  Thank you, Bridge

6 minutes ago, festiboi said:

Seriously?!  We leapfrogged a bunch of people, including a friend of ours waiting for their PR for three years now?!  Not sure how that happened. but that is excellent news indeed!

Thank you for the amazing info; as I was completely not expecting it or thought it was possible and was blind to what was approved.  So an entrance into Australia, regardless of length, is necessary before July, and there's no deadline to permanently settle. 

And I've PM'ed you, but no greencard or documentation needed for him?  I'm used to having to cart my U.S. one everywhere at all points of entry into the United States, plus having to show it at foreign airports when checking in for a U.S. bound flight.  It's been imbedded in my head for years to always show documentation that I belong in this country.  

Thanks again!

The decision to grant the permanent visa immediately after the grant of the temporary is entirely discretionary. It really is a cause for celebration.  

All visa information is stored electronically and available to airlines and immigration etc. Although not required, it is always advisable to keep a copy of the visa grant notice with you, as it has all the visa grant details on it. 

Apart from the first entry date, which you MUST do, there is no restrictions on overseas travel. 

Just on a side note, when you renew the travel facility (by 12 March 2024) you must meet the residence or substantial ties requirements

You will meet the residence requirements if you have lived in Australia for 2 years (730 days) in the last 5 years or

be able to demonstrate substantial ties to Australia that are of benefit to Australia. They include:

• business ties 
  • cultural ties 
  • employment ties 
  • personal ties 

If the visa holder is residing overseas with their Australian citizen partner, they will meet the personal ties.

920x113.jpg

On 3/14/2019 at 1:20 PM, AFV said:

All visa information is stored electronically and available to airlines and immigration etc. Although not required, it is always advisable to keep a copy of the visa grant notice with you, as it has all the visa grant details on it. 

Further to @AFV point, and your mention of a Greencard.  Australia does not have the concept of a green card.  The right to work is a condition (or not) of the Visa you have been granted.  Employers in Australia can check (and must check) your Right to work, via an online public database called VEVO.

And yes, always carry a copy of the Grant Letter.  My wife personally fell foul of this when sitting her Drivers LIcense exam, the Registry staff could not access VEVO (some stupid IT issue) and therefore would not process her application, as they could not establish PR rights.  We had to come back again later in the week.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.