joe19

When to apply - not too early or not too late

Hi all,

I am in the process of applying for the offshore partner visa (for my wife). I think I now have all the information that I need but my only problem is when to submit the application.

We plan to move to Australia in July 2020.

I obviously don't want to apply too late and not have the visa granted before we move - I know here in the worst case we could still move there and she would have a tourist or bridging visa but would then have to leave the country once it is approved and then come back again (which we would like to avoid).

But I also don't want to apply too early and have the "must enter by" date set before July next year and she would then need to make a quick trip to Australia and back before July just to activate the visa.

I know the "must enter by"😀 date is generally 12 months from the police checks and medical. My original plan was to apply now and then if they happen to reply very quickly in the next couple of months and ask for the police checks and medicals I would then just hold off until July this year and do them then and this would then give us the 12 months until July next year. I spoke to the department today and they said that might not be possible as they generally give a maximum period in which to respond to their requests which is normally 28 days at the most. He also said that the must enter date is not always tied to the police checks and medicals and I would only find out the must enter date in the grant letter.

So as you can see because we are fixed on the date when we want to move to Australia I'm now a little confused as to when I should apply. I know 75% of applications are processed within 12 months so I would like to think we would be in that 75% which means I could just wait and apply in July this year but obviously you never know.

Does anyone have any more concrete information about processing times and how long I can realistically expect them to:

1) Get back to me after I submit to request the police checks and medicals

2) Approve the visa

Or is this the million dollar question that can't be answered? 😀

PS - If it helps the basic facts are: we have been together for over 10 years, married for almost 8 years, have three kids and currently live in Europe (my wife is an EU citizen)

Thanks!

Honestly,  you can't control the dates, as we only have estimates. It canbe quick, or it can take long. My advice would be to Apply now,  as soon as you can. And when doing so, make sure to upload Statutory Declaration statements about your plans to the future and when you want to move to the country with your partner. Make sure you reference this timing more than once where possible. That is the best you can hope for is that your partner will receive the visa within a workable timeframe. I recommend you do not buy any plane tickets yet, until you know. Depending on your country and procesing centre, you may be asked toprovide the police checks and health check straight away, or the application will say for you to wait until they request you to obtain these documents.

3 hours ago, cltxclt said:

Honestly,  you can't control the dates, as we only have estimates. It canbe quick, or it can take long. My advice would be to Apply now,  as soon as you can. And when doing so, make sure to upload Statutory Declaration statements about your plans to the future and when you want to move to the country with your partner. Make sure you reference this timing more than once where possible. That is the best you can hope for is that your partner will receive the visa within a workable timeframe. I recommend you do not buy any plane tickets yet, until you know. Depending on your country and procesing centre, you may be asked toprovide the police checks and health check straight away, or the application will say for you to wait until they request you to obtain these documents.

That's some good advice to include the dates we plan to move, thanks!