shanegbrady

A few questions on partner visa application

Hi all,

Just preparing to submit an onshore partner visa application.

I have had a look through the partner visa handbook and I have a few questions:

1. Police Certificates - The Home Affairs website states that "we may ask you to provide a police certificate (also called a penal clearance certificate) from every country you lived in" - I have lived for over a year in the past 10 years in Pakistan and Myanmar, and I am an Irish citizen. How likely is it that I will be asked to provide police certificates for these countries and since the website says I "may" be asked to provide certificates, should I wait until the certificates are requested or go ahead and try to get them (though that might be quite difficult for Myanmar and Pakistan".

2. Health Checks - My understanding is that I cannot complete the health check until after I have submitted my application, and that I must wait for the authorities to request the health check. Is this correct? 

3. Certified Documents - My understanding is that currently, the only documents that need to be certified are the statutory declarations, otherwise scans are fine. Is this correct? 

4. Previously granted permission to work in Australia -  there is a question on the form as to whether or not the applicant has been granted permission to work in Australia. I worked in Australia on a working holiday visa back in 2000 - does this count?

5. Additional information on countries visited - I have traveled a lot, so I will need to attach additional information, is an Excel file a good way to do this?

6. Passport photos - I understand passport photos of both I and my sponsor are required, do we simply upload scans?

6. Sponsor's date of citizenship - my wife was born in Malaysia and migrated to Australia at the age of 4. She has an Australian passport, but does not know the date on which she gained citizenship or have a document containing this information - do we leave this section blank in the application form?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

1. You will have to provide penal clearance certificates (police checks) from ALL countries that you have spent 12 months or more cumulative in the past 10 years. I would recommend waiting until you are asked to provide them as they are only valid for 12 months. If you application is not decided by the time they expire, then they will have to be done again.
  2. It is actually possible to do health checks before an application is submitted, but I would recommend for the same reason above that you wait until requested to do to them due to their 12 months validity. 
  3. Correct. 
  4. Correct
  5. Is this an onshore application? You need to enter your previous travel online in the correct fields. 
  6. Correct
  7. If you leave a section blank (online application) you cannot progress to the next section. Can she recall approximately the date she arrived in Australia?

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.