Jump to content
Perla Sjögren

Countries resided/visited

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I find it very hard to fill out the sections about countries lived/visited.

I have only lived in one country before I came to Australia. Do I have to state all the different addresses on which I lived? Because I don’t remember the addresses and time from - to.

I have visited quite a few countries in the last few years. Some for holidays and some to visit my sister who lived in 2 different countries. I have absolutely no idea from when till when I was in what country. All I know is which countries I have visited. I’m not the type to keep records and save information. I’m not an information hoarder! 

Is it okay if I just state one address in my former home country?

Is it okay if I give very rough estimates of when I was in a country?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Perla Sjögren said:

Hi,

I find it very hard to fill out the sections about countries lived/visited.

I have only lived in one country before I came to Australia. Do I have to state all the different addresses on which I lived? Because I don’t remember the addresses and time from - to.

I have visited quite a few countries in the last few years. Some for holidays and some to visit my sister who lived in 2 different countries. I have absolutely no idea from when till when I was in what country. All I know is which countries I have visited. I’m not the type to keep records and save information. I’m not an information hoarder! 

Is it okay if I just state one address in my former home country?

Is it okay if I give very rough estimates of when I was in a country?

 

You should provide as much accurate information as possible.  You'd be surprised how much you can get from email, social media etc.  My partner and I had about 30 different travels together and about 10 each separately - it took me a few hours but I found all the info.  Also check stamps in passports - I found two trips in my passport that I hadn't found in my email.  From memory, it's not all the details since time began, I believe it's 10 years, but that is stated on the forms if the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Perla Sjögren said:

Is it okay if I just state one address in my former home country?

No, you will need to state all addresses. If you can't remember you will need to include a statement addressing this and the information you have.

57 minutes ago, Perla Sjögren said:

Is it okay if I give very rough estimates of when I was in a country?

No you will need to be more accurate than rough estimates as if you stayed in any country for a period of 12 months total, you will need a police clearance from that country. Also visiting certain countries will raise some flags/possible further investigation. 

Your home country maybe able to provide a international movement record, if you can't work it out.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have asked the council where I lived in my former home country. Hopefully they can give me all the information as for from when till when I lived on what address.

I’ve only traveled within Europe, so there’s no stamps in my passport. I don’t have the pictures here and neither do I have social media accounts. I’ve erased most emails after I have read them unless there’s very important information in there. So it’s really hard if not impossible to get accurate information about the dates of the countries visited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue you will face in not supplying accurate addresses or travel movements is that it will at best just delay your visa application processing, instead of getting processed in the 75% time-frame you will fall into the other 15%, given its already a very long wait (21 months) for the 75%, it's in you interest to not add delay's .

At worst it may give immigration grounds to reject your application for not supplying the information.

Whilst deleting emails and not keeping records is normally not an issue for most people, you are entering the "visa world" in which evidence is number 1. A smart person would start documenting and keeping evidence that will be useful for the visa process, as you will not only need it for the first stage of the visa application but also the second stage when they process the permanent visa 2 odd years in the future.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From how we read the 'Countries resided' question, you only had to list the last address you lived in, in each country - but you have to list accurately the whole time that you have lived in that COUNTRY.   I.e. if you moved around within one country, you don't need to document each address there, just the last one.  

The way the information is required to input is confusing in my opinion.    But I'm no expert having only just done one visa, so defer to the knowledge of those with much more experience. 

 

contry.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, anjela81 said:

From how we read the 'Countries resided' question, you only had to list the last address you lived in, in each country - but you have to list accurately the whole time that you have lived in that COUNTRY.   I.e. if you moved around within one country, you don't need to document each address there, just the last one.  

The way the information is required to input is confusing in my opinion.    But I'm no expert having only just done one visa, so defer to the knowledge of those with much more experience. 

 

contry.jpg

Can you see the little question mark (?) figures?  Click on them and they give an explanation of what is needed

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I only need to put in the last address of the countries I resided in? So do I fill out the date that I’ve spent on that last address or the date I’ve spent in that country?

Also, I’ve spent about 12 months cumulatively in Australia now. First I went for a 3 month visit and now I’m back here living in Australia for 9 months now. So do I fill this out in “countries resided?” If so, do I fill out both dates? And what do I put in as the end date, since I’m still residing here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After filling out all the dates of every visit to different countries I get an error message. Is this because I have visited certain countries many times? Can you only fill out 1 visit to each country?

An error has occurred

The table in 'Visited' contains duplicate entries. The duplicate entry should be deleted or amended.
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Perla Sjögren said:

After filling out all the dates of every visit to different countries I get an error message. Is this because I have visited certain countries many times? Can you only fill out 1 visit to each country?

An error has occurred

The table in 'Visited' contains duplicate entries. The duplicate entry should be deleted or amended.
 
 

You must have a duplicate just like the error message say. For example, if you have more than one entry with the same values for Country, Date From and Date to then that would be counted as a duplicate


Visa: PMV Subclass 300, Lodged: Mid Apr 2019, Medicals: Cleared, Status: Further processing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for helping me out by replying. I found a date overlap somewhere, so that hurdle is fixed :)

Almost ready to submit my application now!

The only thing I need to know how to fill out is the countries resided section. Do I fill out my last address in Sweden with the date I’ve spent on that exact address or do I fill out the last address with the date I’ve spent in Sweden?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Perla Sjögren said:

Thank you all for helping me out by replying. I found a date overlap somewhere, so that hurdle is fixed :)

Almost ready to submit my application now!

The only thing I need to know how to fill out is the countries resided section. Do I fill out my last address in Sweden with the date I’ve spent on that exact address or do I fill put the last address with the date I’ve spent in Sweden?

Dates you lived at that address.  If they later request evidence of you living at that address for those dates (as they requested for me and my partner), you’ll have a mismatch in the data and you definitely do not want that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is Have any of the applicants lived in a country for more than 12 months cumulatively in the past 10 years?

My interpretation was this: 

My partner has lived in the Netherlands for 16 years, from 2003-2019.

In this time he has lived at 5 different addresses, but only two of them are in the last 10 years.  One from 2006-2012 and one from 2012-2019.  So these are the only two addresses I added, with the start and end dates per address.  The addresses that were prior to 2006 I did not add.  

As you can see from other posters, some people have had a slightly different interpretation.  It will not hurt to add more information if you are uncertain of the interpretation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if you’ve visited countries a few times and cumulatively you’ve visited that country for more than 12 months should you apply those visits in the “countries resided” section instead of the “countries visited” section?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Perla Sjögren said:

@AFV: could you shed some light on this? Apparently there’s a lot of confusion about how to correctly fill out the countries resided/visited section. What’s the right interpretation?

It's pretty straight forward, if you resided in a country its means you been situated in that country for more than 12 months, if you visited it means you only stayed there on a temporary basis, less than 12 months. 

I am assuming by your username, english isn't your first language, so can understand the difficulty with the nuance of the english language.  

While I support your effort in doing the application yourself, you seem to be struggling with some very basic aspects of the process. I would suggest you look at engaging an agent like @Bridge @AFV etc to have a quick look over you application. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nightcall it’s not that straight forward at all and that has nothing to do with my understanding of the English language! English might not be my first language, I’m from Sweden, but my English is pretty darn good if I may say so myself.

When you click the ? it says this:

Give details of all countries resided in for a period of 12 months in total, in the past 10 years since turning 16. The period of time spent in a country may be non-consecutive, but must still be included if it is 12 months or over in total.

If you stayed in a country for more than 12 months cumulatively (!) in the last 10 years, I believe it should fall under the “countries resided” section if you read the above.

I have visited/ resided in Australia for more than 12 months cumulatively (first a 3 months visit, now back on a WHV for about 9 months now). I’ve resided at the same address both times.

Under the section “countries visited” it says to list countries that you have visited for less than 12 months in total.

Some people think you only have to list the last address you lived at in that country, others think that you should name all the addresses you lived at in the last 10 years. So no, apparently it’s not that clear to everyone.

I have emailed AFV to do a review of my visa application before I submit it, but I haven’t heard anything back. They’re probably very busy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Perla Sjögren said:

it’s not that straight forward at all and that has nothing to do with my understanding of the English language!

Sorry but I disagree, your english language may be very good in a general context but immigration is in a legal context, not that many english speaking natives would necessary understand the legal context.

You are questioning things that have a legal context, but applying a general context. I do think that it's good that you are attempting it. 

39 minutes ago, Perla Sjögren said:

When you click the ? it says this:

Give details of all countries resided in for a period of 12 months in total, in the past 10 years since turning 16. The period of time spent in a country may be non-consecutive, but must still be included if it is 12 months or over in total.

In a legal english context this makes perfect sense, resided in a legal context this means all countries you have be situated in for a period of 12 months or more. 

39 minutes ago, Perla Sjögren said:

Under the section “countries visited” it says to list countries that you have visited for less than 12 months in total.

 Again pretty clear, it means any country you have visited in the last 10 years with a total period (added up) of time less than 12 months.

39 minutes ago, Perla Sjögren said:

I have visited/ resided in Australia for more than 12 months cumulatively (first a 3 months visit, now back on a WHV for about 9 months now).

So you would list Australia as a country you have you have resided in for more than 12 months in total. Doesn't matter if your address changes once in that period or 365 times.

39 minutes ago, Perla Sjögren said:

Some people think you only have to list the last address you lived at in that country, others think that you should name all the addresses you lived at in the last 10 years. So no, apparently it’s not that clear to everyone.

It is apparent to those that understand the legal context of the question.

The answer is, if you have spent more than 12 months in total in that country, you need to inform immigration. They also what to know the addresses you stay at in that country during that 10 year period.

The purpose of wanting  the information is to do background checks on you with that country to see if you meet the character requirements of a visa to Australia.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...