Markymark

One way ticket into Australia

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems entering Australia on a tourist visa to apply for a partner visa but only having a one way ticket? I would have funds to suggest I could afford a return flight if the need be.

On 5/10/2019 at 5:06 AM, Markymark said:

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems entering Australia on a tourist visa to apply for a partner visa but only having a one way ticket? I would have funds to suggest I could afford a return flight if the need be.

Depending on your Visa history for Australia, your country of origin etc, the IMMI officer on arrival may inquire about a return ticket (along with the other general questions regarding overall funds, purpose of visit and reason to return). Generally if you can show you have sufficient funds for the full stay, and enough to purchase a return ticket, and you satisfy the other questions, then generally all will be OK.

However, entry is pretty much approved at the discretion of the attending IMMI officer, and there are no general rules.

But consider this.  I always recommend purchasing a return ticket before arrival as it further demonstrates your intent to leave when the VV expires, its usually cheaper as advanced purchase and is one less item for a bad tempered IMMI officer to pull you up on. Most tickets can be rescheduled for up to 12 months, at worst for a small fee.

Also, you can only apply onshore for a PV, if your VV DOES NOT have condition 8503 'No Further Stay' applied.  Check your VV grant letter or Vevo.  If you have 8503 applied, then you MUST leave at the end of the VV and apply offshore for the PV.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

Another issue that you may face is that some airlines may refuse to allow you to board if you don't have a return ticket. Rare these days with the DCS/APP systems, but can still happen.

If you decide to buy another ticket, you don't necessarily need a return ticket.

I'd think that they'd want to see that you will leave the country - so you could go for a nice holiday in New Zealand.

I'm an Australian living in Europe and that's all the border officers here want to know, that I will be leaving their country at some point  - not that I'm going to fly all the way back to Australia. 

On 5/10/2019 at 7:47 AM, AussieDude said:

Also, you can only apply onshore for a PV, if your VV DOES NOT have condition 8513 'No Further Stay' applied.  Check your VV grant letter or Vevo.  If you have 8513 applied, then you MUST leave at the end of the VV and apply offshore for the PV.

@AussieDude While the wording is correct of the visa condition i.e. 'No Further Stay', the code should be 8503

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa-conditions-subsite/Pages/no-further-stay-waiver.aspx mentions thata there are actually three (3)  conditions which are 'No Further Stay' namely 8503, 8534 and 8535

A 'No Further Stay' condition prevents visa holders from applying for many temporary and permanent visas while they are in Australia.

Conditions include 8503, 8534 and 8535.

If one of these conditions has been attached to your visa, you cannot apply for another visa (except a protection visa or a temporary visa of a specified kind, while you are in Australia).

If you don't have the right to remain in Australia, you must leave.

Visa: PMV Subclass 300, Lodged: Mid Apr 2019, Medicals: Cleared, Status: Further processing

51 minutes ago, SUHI said:

@AussieDude While the wording is correct of the visa condition i.e. 'No Further Stay', the code should be 8503

Whoops, my bad typo.  Original post corrected.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.