Dirwin2204

Working in professional services on a BVA

Hi there,

I'm looking to move to Australia from the UK on an evisitor 651 and then apply for a Partner visa onshore which should then put me on to a BVA. I work in professional services and while I know full working rights are granted on a BVA (subject to no conditions etc.), I've read a couple of posts about employers being cautious to employ BVA holders on a full time permanent basis while the outcome of the Partner visa is being decided.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of taking a full time permanent role in professional services (or something similar) while on a BVA and if they've encountered any obstacles because of this?

Many thanks in advance!

Dan

We recently had a client on a Bridging Visa A who applied for a job in the private sector and was informed that he was not eligible because he was not a permanent resident. After it was explained to the prospective employer that he had applied for a permanent visa and the Bridging Visa A, with work rights attached, permitted him to remain lawfully in Australia until a decision was made on his permanent visa application, he was permitted to progress to the next level. Ultimately it was a decision for the prospective employer however.

Note: some public sector jobs require a person to be a permanent resident or even Australian citizen. 

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

On 5/11/2019 at 10:31 PM, Dirwin2204 said:

Hi there,

I'm looking to move to Australia from the UK on an evisitor 651 and then apply for a Partner visa onshore which should then put me on to a BVA. I work in professional services and while I know full working rights are granted on a BVA (subject to no conditions etc.), I've read a couple of posts about employers being cautious to employ BVA holders on a full time permanent basis while the outcome of the Partner visa is being decided.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of taking a full time permanent role in professional services (or something similar) while on a BVA and if they've encountered any obstacles because of this?

Many thanks in advance!

Dan

Generally speaking, most employers (private and public) will avoid applicants on temporary visa's. Always exceptions, and its usually the decision of the specific employer.  Contract, and P/T, Casual jobs are usually less strict.  It varies industry to industry, and often role to role.  Certain skillsets that are in high demand, employers will do literally anything to retain them.

I infer from your use of Professional Services, that you may mean the top end of town, and the Big5 (Deloittes, KPMG, PWC etc), I know for a fact that none of them will take on a applicant in a permanent role unless they have PR, or a suitable work visa.  The cost of onboarding is expensive these days.  I do see roles being offered to BV's but a clause is often included that extends the no fault probation period to when the BV is superseded or canceled.

Its a risk thing these days.  There are serious fines applied to the company directors for employing people without work rights, and some of the BV's are very complicated and hard to monitor.  A PR or Work Visa is a safe bet.

If it becomes an obstacle for you, suggest you go contract initially then perm as soon as your PR is granted.  Both parties are protected then.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.