Sign in to follow this  
coyote764

Police Check Time Frame Strategy

I’m trying to come up with the safest strategy when submitting my FBI police check. I live in the States with my wife who will sponsor me onshore Australia later this year.. The Mrs is moving back to Australia and I will join her 3 months later. 

Im trying to understand the process here. Will I submit the Police Check when I apply for Temp Partner Visa or will that be requested later? My concern is that my FBI Check will expire if I don’t time it correctly. I imagine that getting an updated FBI Check from overseas will not be easy do to the fact that I present authorized fingerprints.

One more factor is that my wife has lived with me in the States for over a year and will need to provide FBI Check as well (assuming she must apply as a suitable sponsor before I lodge the Temporary Partner Visa).

Being that no one knows the processing time for the new Sponsorship law, my FBI Check could expire while we wait.

I hope I’ve worded this post to be understood. Any input will help

3 hours ago, coyote764 said:

I’m trying to come up with the safest strategy when submitting my FBI police check. I live in the States with my wife who will sponsor me onshore Australia later this year.. The Mrs is moving back to Australia and I will join her 3 months later. 

Im trying to understand the process here. Will I submit the Police Check when I apply for Temp Partner Visa or will that be requested later? My concern is that my FBI Check will expire if I don’t time it correctly. I imagine that getting an updated FBI Check from overseas will not be easy do to the fact that I present authorized fingerprints.

One more factor is that my wife has lived with me in the States for over a year and will need to provide FBI Check as well (assuming she must apply as a suitable sponsor before I lodge the Temporary Partner Visa).

Being that no one knows the processing time for the new Sponsorship law, my FBI Check could expire while we wait.

I hope I’ve worded this post to be understood. Any input will help

It's a common problem. 

You are correct in that you both need to provide FBI PCC's, technically at the time of visa application lodgement.  From what I hear, FBI PCC's do take a long time these days. You can get the fingerprints done in Australia by the local police, and there is a charge.  

I would make some inquiries on the processing delay for the FBI PCC's, and time things so they arrive just before you make the application.  If the PCC expires during the visa processing period, several things may happen;

1. If you have been onshore since the PCC was issued, its likely IMMI will accept the PCC regardless.
  2. If you have been in the USA for a significant period after the PCC was issued, IMMI usually do ask for a fresh PCC. However, there is no hard and fast rule, its up to the CO.
  3. Regardless, if IMMI decide that you do need a new PCC, they will write and advise you. Visa processing may go on hold during this waiting period. Usually 'updated' PCC's take a lot less time to process, as they generally only examine the period since the last PCC was issued. So the delay is often not that bad.

Some people apply with no O/S PCC attached, but a receipt to show it has been applied for, and they forward the PCC to IMMI when it arrives.  This tactic can be risky, as more and more the applications are checked automatically for completeness (mainly with online lodgement) and the application is either rejected or stalled due to the missing document. I can't recommend this approach.

You apply first and get a TRN number, then your sponsor applies quoting your TRN.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.