muse1988

Partner Visa Documentation

Hi everyone,

My partner and I just found out about the new partner visa changes coming about next month!

Due to this we are now rushing to get her application in order,

The only documentation I am worried about is her country's criminal history check which can take 2-3 months (super long processing time :( ) I also need to get a check from her country (where we met) so I too will need to wait 2-3 months to get my check done.

I can't seem to find any solid information on the rule regarding documentation/evidence and the visa application process,

Are we able to "apply" and pay the fee now, and just gather the documentation over the next 3 months, that way we've joined the "queue" so to speak and the new partner visa changes won't affect us?

In other words, can we get her on a Bridging Visa now despite not having all the documentation in order for another 3 months?

Thanks so much!

8 minutes ago, muse1988 said:

Hi everyone,

My partner and I just found out about the new partner visa changes coming about next month!

Due to this we are now rushing to get her application in order,

The only documentation I am worried about is her country's criminal history check which can take 2-3 months (super long processing time :( ) I also need to get a check from her country (where we met) so I too will need to wait 2-3 months to get my check done.

I can't seem to find any solid information on the rule regarding documentation/evidence and the visa application process,

Are we able to "apply" and pay the fee now, and just gather the documentation over the next 3 months, that way we've joined the "queue" so to speak and the new partner visa changes won't affect us?

In other words, can we get her on a Bridging Visa now despite not having all the documentation in order for another 3 months?

Thanks so much!

Welcome to the Australian Visa Forum,

You actually cannot provide/upload any documents until the application has been submitted. 

There is nothing wrong with what you are suggesting, and in fact, I would not recommend providing the police clearances until you are advised to do so by the Department as they are only valid for 12 months. An onshore partner visa currently takes up to 2 years to process. If your police clearances expire before the visa is granted, they will need to be done again.   

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

1 minute ago, AFV said:

Welcome to the Australian Visa Forum,

You actually cannot provide/upload any documents until the application has been submitted. 

There is nothing wrong with what you are suggesting, and in fact, I would not recommend providing the police clearances until you are advised to do so by the Department as they are only valid for 12 months. An onshore partner visa currently takes up to 2 years to process. If your police clearances expire before the visa is granted, they will need to be done again.   

Firstly thank you for the warm welcome! 

I'm so lucky I've found this forum - I'm currently searching/combing through all the old threads to get as much info as I can

AND THANK YOU for your response, it has filled us both with so much relief. We were very worried we would not be able to apply in time!!!

Would the general advice be (considering the upcoming changes) to possibly apply ASAP, provide the easy documentation / what we can now quickly/in a timely manner but hold out until we are contacted to get the police certificates etc?

Thank you again!

42 minutes ago, muse1988 said:

Firstly thank you for the warm welcome! 

I'm so lucky I've found this forum - I'm currently searching/combing through all the old threads to get as much info as I can

AND THANK YOU for your response, it has filled us both with so much relief. We were very worried we would not be able to apply in time!!!

Would the general advice be (considering the upcoming changes) to possibly apply ASAP, provide the easy documentation / what we can now quickly/in a timely manner but hold out until we are contacted to get the police certificates etc?

Thank you again!

Rule of thumb is to provide all documentation in a timely manner and respond to all request for further information by the time stated. If I was in your situation I would apply now and provide any supporting documentation when you can. Health checks and police clearances I would wait until advised by the Department to provide them due to their 12 month validity.   

920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Just now, AFV said:

Rule of thumb is to provide all documentation in a timely manner and respond to all request for further information by the time stated. If I was in your situation I would apply now and provide any supporting documentation when you can. Health checks and police clearances I would wait until advised by the Department to provide them due to their 12 month validity.   

Agreed. 

A valid partner visa application can be made without providing any supporting documentation at time of application.  

920x113.jpg

With of course the caveat of aside from the medical and police check don't dawdle with uploading. Technically they can make a decision without contacting you for more evidence (aside from the medical and police checks), in practise they generally ask but best to be prepared.