Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stuart kent

Water treatment and cooling tower

Recommended Posts

Hi all thanks for taken the time to read my entry.

I work in water treatment industry here in the UK specifically working with cooling towers and their chemical treatment and writing legionella risk assessments, I know Victoria have brought in new territory legislation in the industry but I’m finding it difficult to locate any information which may suggest its part of the required skills on a visa application. Do any of you guys now the water treatment/ Legionella control industry in Australia?

thanks all



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

What I can offer.

Cooling towers and the water treatment associated, like the UK is highly regulated in Australia.  "The primary design standard for cooling towers and cooling water systems is AS/NZS 3666.1. Its primary focus is the control of microbes such as Legionella in building water and air handling systems, particularly cooling water systems and cooling towers." 

This is where it gets stupid.  The health department in each state administers the whole public health process for that state.  So each state has differing protocols, but they all work to AS.3666.1   Usually local council inspectors or State Health Officers do the inspection/certification work, but independant certifiers exist. All operators must have certified installations, regular maintenance, and a risk assessment plan.  From my experience, the RAP is usually set out by either a Chartered HVAC Engineer, or a licensed A/C&R mechanic. More and more these types of compliance areas are being outsourced to private certifiers.  Here is the course they must attend and pass https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/legionellacontrol/Pages/training.aspx

The design, installation, maintenance of Cooling towers and the associated water treatment systems must be carried out by a licensed Air Conditioning/Refrigeration mechanic.

So, to do what you do in Australia, I suspect you would need to be 1) a qualified HVAC Engineer or mechanic, or 2) Hold some sort of public health risk assessment qualifications, or 3) do the TAFE course I mentioned above.   But that is not to say you could work for one of these, and they cover you with their licenses.




Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Create New...