Jump to content
Papion

Do I need to apply for Rrv?

Recommended Posts

Hi 

my rrv was issued in June 2015 and will expire in June 2020. My residence in Australia during this time includes 3 months in 2016 and since December 2018 so far that I'm living in Australia. If I don't want to leave Australia after June 2020 will I still need to renew my visa?  And if I do for how long they will approve it?

thanks before for your comments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need to renew or apply for a RRV until you wish to leave Australia after 2020, which RRV visa you are eligible depends on a number of factors, mostly time spent in Australia in the past 5 years and personal ties to Australia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Nightcall said:

You don't need to renew or apply for a RRV until you wish to leave Australia after 2020, which RRV visa you are eligible depends on a number of factors, mostly time spent in Australia in the past 5 years and personal ties to Australia. 

I just did some rough calculations. If our member @Papion was granted the last RRV in June 2015 and has spent 3 months in Australia in 2016 and then from December 2018 to June 2020, and assuming he does not depart Australia between now and then, it will be a maximum of 667 days spent in Australia. 

To renew a RRV you must either

  • have lived in Australia for 2 years (730 days) in the last 5 years as the holder of a permanent visa (or entry permit), or as an Australian citizen
  • be able to demonstrate substantial ties to Australia that are of benefit to Australia 

Therefore the renewal will be based on demonstrating substantial ties to Australia and it will only be renewed for 1 year and not 5.


920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi AFV

Thanks for your response. I will probably depart Australia for 1 month during xmas Holidays 2020 too . What if I stay in Australia after June 2020 until it gets over 730 days spent in Australia and then apply, of course as Nightcall said if I need to depart Aus? 

And does that substantial ties to Australia include employment in Australia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering a subclass 157 takes around 12 weeks to process, I would suggest the OP would be better waiting out the 63 odd days in Australia and getting the 155 which is valid for 5 years.

On a side note which may be applicable , you can leave Australia without a RRV or after applying for RRV you just can't get back in without one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Papion said:

What if I stay in Australia after June 2020 until it gets over 730 days spent in Australia and then apply, of course as Nightcall said if I need to depart Aus? 

Once you hit the 730 days out of the last 5 years, you will get issued with a RRV 155, which is valid for 5 years. 

A 155 only takes a couple of days at most to process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Papion said:

Hi AFV

Thanks for your response. I will probably depart Australia for 1 month during xmas Holidays 2020 too . What if I stay in Australia after June 2020 until it gets over 730 days spent in Australia and then apply, of course as Nightcall said if I need to depart Aus? 

 

3 minutes ago, Nightcall said:

Considering a subclass 157 takes around 12 weeks to process, I would suggest the OP would be better waiting out the 63 odd days in Australia and getting the 155 which is valid for 5 years.

On a side note which may be applicable , you can leave Australia without a RRV or after applying for RRV you just can't get back in without one.

Totally depends on your travel plans.

If you can accrue 730 days in the past 5 years at time of application you can renew for 5 years. If not, it will be yearly renewal until you can. As @Nightcall has said you can leave Australia without a RRV or after applying for RRV you just can't get back in without one.

From my experience where an RRV applicant meets the residency requirement, the grant is almost automatic. In other case the grant can take up to 3 months, which is absolutely absurd. 


920x113.jpg

Please note that this posting is of a general nature only. It does not constitute legal or migration advice and may not apply to your particular circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...