Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Which Visa is for me?

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

Starting to look into visas for PR here in Australia, and there are some things i don't find clear enough on the visa website. 

In short, my partner is a registered nurse (aged care) and I'd be classed as an agricultural Scientist - both on the skilled jobs list. 

She has more experience than myself, and looking at the points table, with experience and superior english, she'd be raking in 70 points (189 visa), 75 points (190 visa) and potentially 5 more points if i can be deemed as skilled in this profession (<12 months work, hold a masters, 4+ years as a zoologoist, but i don't believe this would count, as it was all during my graduate time and not in a related class to ANZSCO code 2341-12). 

So, being a nurse and having her AHPRA registration, this would be deemed suitable for a skills assessment. 

Lodging either a 189 or 190 visa, would each cost $3755 for her as the main applicate, as we are welcome to submit EOI for either of these visas at any time. 

When it comes to bringing myself in, i could be lodged with this application for an additional $1875 for either visa. 

I see in the visa listings it states 'the second instalment charge for family members is AUD4,885'

so this additional second instalment is also the charge for myself, on top of being $1875 correct?

we are also looking at the 482 visa, so a shorter stay if PR doesn't come threw in time. I read somewhere she cannot be married upon first entry into the country? 

Does this mean we cannot lodge an application for this visa if we are together?

Thanks everyone!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

In no particular order;

  1. Yes your wife as the primary applicant to a skilled visa can include you as the secondary applicant, as long as you meet the requirement of being a member of the family unit
    1. The family unit is explained on the page I reference to below, but basically a legal wife of de facto. 
  2. There is no requirement or exclusion of marital status for the primary applicant on a 482, however;
    1. There are all sorts of complex conditions for the secondary (ie spouse), depending on your visa history
    2. Its all explained in IMMI speak here:  https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/temporary-skill-shortage-482/short-term-stream#aboutVisa-index-4
  3. I calculate the cost to be for you both;
    1. On application $5,630 (primary and one dependant over 18)
    2. If you have to pay the second installment, that will be an additional $4,885, but IMMI will tell you if/when its required.
    3. Yes you the secondary pay the initial $1,875, plus the second installment of $4,885 (if applicable)

I am no expert on the fees etc, I defer to @AFV who may have a better understanding.




Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...