I am a 70 year old Australian with a 70 year old Danish partner. We are now looking at setting up permanently together in Australia, by way of applying for a partner visa, a process about which I have little knowledge. We are both financially independent.

My main concern however is the medical requirements. I have no medical issues. My partner however has been diagnosed in Denmark as having the early stages of Parkinson's disease and has some limitations to her walking due to a spinal operation.

Question: What are the chances that she would be able to pass the medical requirements ?

6 hours ago, Still kicking said:

I am a 70 year old Australian with a 70 year old Danish partner. We are now looking at setting up permanently together in Australia, by way of applying for a partner visa, a process about which I have little knowledge. We are both financially independent.

My main concern however is the medical requirements. I have no medical issues. My partner however has been diagnosed in Denmark as having the early stages of Parkinson's disease and has some limitations to her walking due to a spinal operation.

Question: What are the chances that she would be able to pass the medical requirements ?

Thank You for joining our forum.  Congratulations on your plans to relocate back to Australia.

Unfortunately, it is likely (but this is my personal opinion) that advanced Parkinson's will be easily detected during the medical, and hence will trigger further examination by the Chief Health Officer.  As you both know, Parkinson's is a degenerative condition, that will require increasing levels of medical support (hence costs) for the patient as the condition progresses. This medical support would be a cost to the Australian Taxpayer.  But the actual decision I can not predict, as there are so many factors including the age of the patient, general health, and stage of the condition.

In the worst case of a Medical Refusal, you can seek a Medical Waiver, which is a contract with the AU Gov where you will insure and undertake to meet all your own medical costs.  These waivers are highly negotiable.

I would strongly suggest you seek the advice of a qualified Immigration Agent, with specific experience in this field.

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

Thank you AussieDude for your input. You stated that "advanced Parkinson's will be easily detected during the medical, and hence will trigger further examination by the Chief Health Officer.". I did state that the condition was recently diagnosed and diagnosed as the early stages. Being how difficult it is to definitively diagnose various forms of dementia I am  surprised at the diagnosis as certainly a normal person would not notice anything out of the ordinary.  However I believe it was largely a self diagnosis as she was a psychologist by profession. I don't know however if any of this makes any difference to your opinion.

46 minutes ago, Still kicking said:

Thank you AussieDude for your input. You stated that "advanced Parkinson's will be easily detected during the medical, and hence will trigger further examination by the Chief Health Officer.". I did state that the condition was recently diagnosed and diagnosed as the early stages. Being how difficult it is to definitively diagnose various forms of dementia I am  surprised at the diagnosis as certainly a normal person would not notice anything out of the ordinary.  However I believe it was largely a self diagnosis as she was a psychologist by profession. I don't know however if any of this makes any difference to your opinion.

Apologies, I assumed it was more advanced.

Yes it does make a huge difference.  You are correct, depending on the individuals symptoms, many doctors would not pick it up.  

Disclaimer:

Makes me sick, in the fact that I must include a disclaimer. All opinions, advice and comments expressed by me are of my own personal opinion, and not that of a Immigration Agent, Lawyer, or related professional. They are given in the spirit intended, as an independant contributor, to a public forum. No implied, or expressed guarantee or undertaking as to accuracy or relevance is given.

On 7/25/2019 at 9:16 PM, Still kicking said:

Being how difficult it is to definitively diagnose various forms of dementia I am  surprised at the diagnosis as certainly a normal person would not notice anything out of the ordinary.

I believe due to the fact your partner has a diagnosis that will need to declare that during the application so it will definitely be assessed during the medical.