Shalyn T

BVA granted, Tourist Visa still active. Can I travel?

My daughter was granted a Bridging Visa A today (08th August 2019), however, our Visitors Visa (subclass 600) expires on the 19th of August, 2019 (that's when our 3 months stay will be up). Both our visitor's visas have "Must Not Arrive After 06 May 2022" (we have multiple entry).

Quick notes to consider:

• My husband was granted Australian Citizenship in Dec 2017
  • My (5-year old) daughter's application is a Child Visa app (subclass 802) - sent to WA just last weekend and received an acknowledgment PLUS BVA Grant today
    • BVA is not in effect because Visitor visa is in effect.
  • I will be applying for Partner Visa (820/801) in a couple of days

My questions are;

1. Is a Visitors Visa considered to be a substantive visa?
  2. If so, can my daughter travel out of Australia (before Aug 19) for a couple of weeks?
    • I understand she will need a BVB to travel outside of Australia IF the answer to my first question is NO
  3. Travel overseas section on the bridging visa grant says, "If your substantive visa expires while you are outside Australia and you do not hold a bridging visa B, you will need to apply for and be granted a substantive visa before you can return to Australia.". What date is this "clause" referring to? (I assume it is referring to the Must not arrive after date).

I hope to hear from you all soon. Cheers!

First info is needed on the current visa. Is it a multiple entry 3 month stay on arrival?

1 yes

2 depending on answer to above question. Yes she can leave and if yes above then when she enters she does so on the tourist visa however the 3 month waiting period starts again.

3 not sure what date you are referring to. However you can apply for a bridging visa b now, even though the bridging visa a isn't active.

5 hours ago, Aussie_83 said:

Is it a multiple entry 3 month stay on arrival?

Thank you for your response.

Yes. It is multiple entry, 3 month stay on each arrival until May 2022.

12 hours ago, Shalyn T said:

If your substantive visa expires while you are outside Australia

I was referring to the substantive visa expiry date; whether the term expire in that 'clause' was referring to 'Must not arrive after date' (which in our case is May 2022), or the date when our 3 month stay would be up (which is the 19th of August 2019). Anyway, nevermind that.

Just to clarify one more time because I'm a bit thrown off by ...

5 hours ago, Aussie_83 said:

However you can apply for a bridging visa b now

She doesn't need to apply for a BVB if she leaves before Aug 19?