Ape

Police checks for countries lived in longer than 10 years ago?

I have recently lodged my onshore 820 Partner Visa and am in the process of gathering the required information. A friend who used to work for the immigration service has advised that my wife(Australian Citizen) and I will require police checks for countries we lived in for over 12 months since we were adults. As my wife previously lived in Japan about 20 years ago, accessing this is likely to be difficult and time consuming. I would also have to access a police check for Ireland. 

I can't see anywhere which states that we need to access police checks for countries which we lived in for longer than 10 years ago. Does anyone know if these are required? Any help greatly received. 

Its only the last 10 years

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/partner-onshore/temporary-820#HowTo

Character documents
Provide an Australian police certificate if you have spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia in the last 10 years since you turned 16.

We only accept complete disclosure National Police Certificates issued by the Australian Federal Police. We do not accept standard disclosure certificates or national police certificates issued by Australian state or territory police.

Also provide:

an overseas police certificate from every country, including your home country, where you spent a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since you turned 16
military service records or discharge papers if you served in the armed forces of any country